Lazy hound

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katowaggytail

Lazy hound

Post by katowaggytail »

Ok, this may be a bit of an odd question to put to all you knowledgeable bods out there.... as you know I rescued my now 4yr old Ridgeback in Feb of this year and we have spent many months getting to know each other in the home and on walks.

My question / query is how I can get my boy to walk in the rain !! I mean he's slow at the best of times, ( the only excpetion there is a whiff of a squirral ) - but when it's raining (like today) we seem to go on ultra slow mode if on lead and if off lead he will cower in the bushes, that is if I can actually get him out of the door in the first place! I don't particually like going out in the stuff but he needs his walks and to do this "stuff".

The other one - which should really be in diet, but is related to the above ..... since I've had him he's put on a bit of weight. We don't do treats any more, we did for the first few months now we just do lurvve.......and I've cut back on the amount he should eat dry food wise. But the main problem is that he he won't run or play, unless it's small, grey with a long tail! He's quiet happy wandering next to me - which is good....
We do and hour in the morning and evening and bits and bobs throughout the day. Both free and road - he also appears to hate road walking and I'm forever geeing him up to walk faster and with me, instead of behind.

RR's were bred to go miles all day chasing lions... mine... I think not. :oops:

Any ideas people, am I expecting too much from him??
Fi
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

I know exactly how you feel Dobermanns are notorious rain dodgers mine will jump in ponds lakes and paddling pool's but when it comes to going out in the rain it's a "no it's alright mum I'll wait" and they do for hours until they can no longer hold it then it's a quick dash out the door quick wee/poo and back inside,if running free they head for the first tree or bush to stand under it's a Dobe thing!!!!!
Sorry I've been of know help at all but your not alone in this!!!!!!!!!
Bilclarie Dobermann's
If it's not a Dobermann it's just a dog
www.bilclarie.com
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/bilclarie/untitled.jpg[/img]
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Actually you have been a great help...I know now I'm not the only one with a "large fearsome beastie" cowering in the bushes, looking a complete fool whilst the "tough" field spaniels are wandering past!! Kato will walk in a puddle if he HAS to, and as for the sea ... well we live right on the coast... forget it, I'm not sure if he ever saw waves before he came to me, he really isn't up for it.

I know Dobes are extremely intelligent, (top 5 in a recent survey) and RR's are supposed to be too, but I honestly think that too many brain cells aren't good for them!! :lol:

Given todays delightful weather I think I'll give this afternoons yomp a miss, I'm sure Kato would approve!

Fi
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Get him boots and a raincoat, and don't mind if other people think it's funny or stupid. Addy hates going out in the rain, too, but being able to stay mostly dry makes her willing to at least go out and pee.

Mind you, she hates the boots, but she hates them less than she hates getting her feet wet. The raincoat she doesn't mind at all.

Lis
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Bilclarie wrote:I know exactly how you feel Dobermanns are notorious rain dodgers
Too true Mo :roll: :roll:

Ellie will dodge, rain, mud, wind, water, anything that looks like she might get her sparkly collar dirty!! I think I have a 'princess' on my hands. :lol:

Seriously though, when its raining and she won't go out the loo in the morning before I have to go to work, I literally 'push' her out the door (two hands on bum) and out she goes. I then block her from getting back in until she has wee'd! Actually, this helped me massively when I was housetraining her as a pup as she would do pretty much anything to get out of the rain!

With walking (sigh :roll: ) I tend to just throw her in the back of the car and drive somewhere where she can be off her lead for the whole time. If she sits under bushes I just walk off, and as she is practically surgically attached to me she just has to follow. She has been known to whine the whole way around though and also gives me the 'I hate you' look.

I think the best thing to do is ignore their melodrama and just 'crack on'. They do give in eventually!
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Forgot to say, as for the dawdling along thing, half your luck!! Fancy swapping for a week as I am shattered trying to keep up with Ellie!
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

ROFL!

You have all made my day! Sitting here chuckling away - Feel sooo much better knowing I'm not the only daft one!

I actually went for a RR as amongst other things, they were a get up and go kind of dog.....but no. I get the laid back , horizontal one! Even the indoor rabbit and hamster are the same, so cool the're positively frozen!!
:lol: :oops: :lol:
D

Post by D »

I agree with the coat idea.
Just got Bell one at the weekend, which she loves. Plus she doesn't shake the moment she gets back in the house wet and leave muddy water marks all over the walls
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

I was trying to take Ellie for a walk in the pouring rain the other day. We got her harness and lead on as usual, little stumpy tail going ten to the dozen, she sat by the front door eagerly awaiting it to open for walkies time......Door opens Ellies steps outside and sees it is teeming it down. She then promptly pops puppy butt on the floor just inside of the door way and refuses to move. No thanks mum, not today. :roll:

So, to foil her cunning plan instead of trying to tempt her out I just drop the lead and say 'OK then smelly Ellie, see you later' and walk away on my own. At this stage I am thinking how clever I am and that she will be out like a shot if she thinks she is getting left. Several moments and steps later and I am still waiting to hear the patter of tiny paws. Nothing, nada. :? I turn around expecting to see her trotting up behind me, no little miss big paws, she has vamoushed. I eventually go back into the house to find that she has just gone 'okey dokey then see you later' and gone back to her nice warm bed!!!!! Minx. She then shoots me a look as if to say 'that was quick'.

Smelly Ellie is offically NOT DAFT. :lol:
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

I am a hard cruel unreasonable person, and mine HAVE TO go for walks in the rain. No ifs, no buts, off we go!

Then they get rubbed down with a big towel and left to steam in front of the fire.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Oh , I still drag him out! But sometimes I wonder if it's worth all the hassle! ... as he he plodding, very slowly and sulking behind me!! :roll:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I put lovely, warm, fleece lined waterproof coats on my dogs when they go out in bad weather and Merlin has a snod to keep his neck warm as well. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

For goodness sake!!!! ..... :roll: :D

This morning we have had a sharp and hard frost, (I'm suitable attired modelling the Navvie look), my usual lazy hound, you know the one that plods, sulks and generally can't be arsed......

well...

running around like an absolute loony, sooooo funny, he actually looked his age and it was a delight to see :D Our usual morning walk buddies and owners were in hysterics! Saying they didn't know he could move that fast!

Roll on more frost and snow if it has this effect!! :lol:
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Ahhhhhh bless him!!! Perhaps he is getting excited as he knows Christmas is coming too.

Its loveloy to see them being silly. How old is he by the way Fi?
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Now THAT, Kato, is telling me he has a physical problem - probably skeletal - because I'm an OWD b1tch and what doesn't hurt in frosty weather sure does ache in the wet.

How about trying one of the loads of nutritional supplements for arthritis, or some of that homeopathic miracle stuff, the mixture of Rhus tox, Ruta graveolens and Arnica? Get him checked out by a GOOD osteopath or chiropractor if you know one, but firmly refuse any drugs at this stage, because the ones most often prescribed are not good for long-term use. At his age, he should be fine with a tweak to his nutrients and a full physical check.