Episode 302 - The Castle Goes to the Dogs (Jan 15)

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 302 - The Castle Goes to the Dogs (Jan 15)

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria helps Matt and Melissa Demar get their four dogs on a feeding and walking schedule to stop them from toileting all over the castle. With the dogs' main issues under control, Victoria restores harmony in a castle that has gone to the dogs!

Post your questions for Victoria about this episode in this thread.
BoardHost
ashtor16

Re: Episode 302 - The Castle Goes to the Dogs (Jan 15)

Post by ashtor16 »

Hi Victoria I have a question I am having a very difficult time potty training my Rottweiler pup. I have him on a very strict feeding n walking schedule and yet its been 6 weeks n he still toilets in the house. Do you have any suggestions?
yogismom

Post by yogismom »

While I did learn a bit about clicker training, I have to honestly say I'm disappointed in this season's first two episodes. I think the show should focus on regular, every day people and their regular, normal dog problems, as opposed to those living in a castle and luxury apartments. All the dogs showcased were designer dogs. The outfit on Melissa was ridiculous! Her Hooters outfit distracted my husband so much he didn't get any of the tips on training. Anyway, I do love you, Victoria, and I love the show. I'm hoping that you'll be showing more every day people and every day dog issues in future episodes.
Eileithyia

Post by Eileithyia »

Dear Victoria,

I have a friend that owns a 3.5 year old Black lab. She's really quite well behaved in most things. Except whenever she's left alone in the house she licks the suede couch until its soaking wet. I am at my wits end with it. I've done every non aggressive trick I know that I've learned from watching your show and other friends that were using trainers, or were trainers themselves. The food reward then taking it down to she didn't know when she was going to get it with... the body blocking, "NO", "Down", "Lay", putting her interest elsewhere ~i.e. safe toy filled with food, her owner had to cover the couch to keep her off of it when they are not home... etc. Im loathe to use the Bitter spray. I've asked her owner to look into it and make sure its all natural and guaranteed not to harm her dog. (I live several hours away but I go up often to visit and help out with the pooch, I've also seen someone use a spray that wasn't appropriate).

I am wondering if you have any suggestions that would work since this is an unwanted behavior that happens only when everyone is gone from the home.

Thank you
Lisa Philpot
lvs4art

Post by lvs4art »

This is another week of superfluous fluff! Why are you doing this? These extremely vulgar people obviously just want air time to show off their t&a! There were so many real issues with these dogs (and people) that needed to be addressed and... were not because there was so much time devoted to their prancing around in scanty dress! This was truly ridiculous.
Are you and Animal Planet lowering your standards in a desperate reach for the "Jersey Shore" viewers?
E-coli from a poop-eating dog is not a giggly, or should I say "jiggly", matter.
Victoria, get back to real issues with real people who really want and need your help and are committed to work with you rather than play "dress-up"!
diamorrow

Post by diamorrow »

I totally enjoyed the show. I want to learn clicker training so this did help me.
Victoria rocks!!
BCMom

Post by BCMom »

Hello Victoria - Matt and Melissa have four dogs. Why did only the pocket dogs get air time, training and pictures taken at the photo shoot. I didn't see any "family" pictures taken with all four dogs. They made sure to include the piglet though. Just wondering. I have three dogs and wouldn't leave one out if I were having a family portrait taken. - Thanks!
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

Hello Victoria :)

This episode was entertaining but I can't wait for next week (the serious episode)!

Did you really learn how do train dogs by training chickens? And why chickens, why not a different animal (for example a pig :lol: ) ?

I miss the format from last season. You know, observation, training begins, results - because that format was perfect and it was much more informative and there was the perfect amount of time for each problem!

Is there any other important or semi-important training you did with the dogs that was left out of the episode?

I can't wait for next weeks episode!

Thank you and please do come to Florida soon!
~ Deshani
Last edited by Doglover42 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Positivelydog

Post by Positivelydog »

Hello Ashter16,
I know it can be very frustrating trying to get your dog trained, when youare doing everything right, but the housetraining is not working for your dog. Have you discussed your dog's housetraining issues with your veterinarian? Your dog may have problems with house training due to medical issues, such as urinary tract infections. My first suggestion would be a visit to the veterinarian to rule out any medical problems that could be interfearing with your training. Your vet would need to test a urine sample to rule out a U.T. I. I often work with dogs that have housetraining problems and myu first course of action is a medical exam.
Judy Luther
Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Trainer
Judy Luther, KPACTP, PDT, CSMT
Victoria Stilwell Positivey Trainer
www.DogStars.biz
314-422-2700
lisa1522

Post by lisa1522 »

I really enjoyed the show, I thought it was hilarious... a really fun episode. New York is such a great City! I cant wait until the next episode!!
Positivelydog

Post by Positivelydog »

Hello Deshani,
Yes, chickens are wonderful teachers. Many trainers attend "Chicken Camps" to learn to be better dog trainers, or dolphin trainers, or zoo trainers, etc.

Chickens are great to train because they are really fast, so the trainer learns to have great timing. Training chickens also teaches you to be a great observer of behavior in animals. Chickens are very smart. When I attended chicken camp, I taught my chicken the difference between red, yellow, blue and green. Another chicken I trained to differentiate between a circle, square, triangel and hexigon.

Chickens are capable of picking up items in their beaks and carrying them to another location, running through a chicken sized agility course, and many other behaviors.
One of the best parts of chicken camps is that it is just plain fun to teach these facinating birds.

If you ever have the desire to train a chicken there is a wonderful facility in Sequim, Washington owned by dog trainer Terry Ryan. They offer chicken camps for trainers or anyone who wants to learn more about training. Here is the website: http://www.legacycanine.com/workshops/c ... camps.html
Judy Luther, KPACTP, PDT, CSMT
Victoria Stilwell Positivey Trainer
www.DogStars.biz
314-422-2700
dustystrings

Post by dustystrings »

Greetings Victoria,
This episode was entertaining, and especially illuminating as to how the priveleged indulge their pets so much that they can really become the kings and queens of the castle! No matter how impressive their home looks from the outside, I would not want to live in a house that has animal messes everywhere inside! I cannot believe that they would take their dogs on outings in a stroller and not allow them to be walking on the ground! Is this really how most wealthy people behave, or was this a one-in-a-million circumstance?
I'm curious if it's normal for dogs to want to eat their own or each other's feces. My kids' dogs do this and it's so disgusting, but I've noticed that mother dogs will do that with their pups as well. Is there a way to get dogs to stop this behavior? We have a large fenced yard, and so the dogs are allowed to go out unleashed to do their business, and then we go out and pick up the remaining messes afterwards.
We love your show, and have all learned a lot from watching over the last few years! Thank you!
harold95

Post by harold95 »

i have no questions. just "POSITIVE" feedback. i watched the show this morning. i dvr'ed it. while i was watching the show, i got it. imotd in "new york". while the first 2 shows are more about the people than the dogs, it would have to be! the people are the root of what is wrong with their dogs! so after watching the first 2 shows, i did take away some things that could help me.

i just received my 2 clicker/whistle combo training aids, and already put it to use this morning training my 7 month old shih tzu. she is a fast learner and eager to please.

everything i taught her i have learned from watching your show.

in fact if it wasn't for your show, i never would have had a dog in my house.

you made it seem so easy, but knowing that it would take work, i convinced my wife that we have to do this together. and it has brought us closer together, and lucy brings us joy in our lives we didn't know we were missing.

so, THANK YOU!
Harold
Harold, and MY Lucy...
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

Positivelydog wrote:Hello Deshani,
Yes, chickens are wonderful teachers. Many trainers attend "Chicken Camps" to learn to be better dog trainers, or dolphin trainers, or zoo trainers, etc.

Chickens are great to train because they are really fast, so the trainer learns to have great timing. Training chickens also teaches you to be a great observer of behavior in animals. Chickens are very smart. When I attended chicken camp, I taught my chicken the difference between red, yellow, blue and green. Another chicken I trained to differentiate between a circle, square, triangel and hexigon.

Chickens are capable of picking up items in their beaks and carrying them to another location, running through a chicken sized agility course, and many other behaviors.
One of the best parts of chicken camps is that it is just plain fun to teach these facinating birds.

If you ever have the desire to train a chicken there is a wonderful facility in Sequim, Washington owned by dog trainer Terry Ryan. They offer chicken camps for trainers or anyone who wants to learn more about training. Here is the website: http://www.legacycanine.com/workshops/c ... camps.html
Wow! Chicken camp sounds so interesting!

Thank you so much Judy and thanks for the link, I will look into chicken camp!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I have to say that this was the most entertaining episode of It's Me or the Dog! :lol: Although I enjoy the very serious episodes, It's nice to have a respite from the norm to get the season started. Anyway, that's all I wanted to say. GO FALCONS!!! :D
--dontpugme