How often does a silky need to be bathed?

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

srburk

How often does a silky need to be bathed?

Post by srburk »

We have a silky terrier who has only been with us for three days. He was in the city shelter a month before the private shelter took him. The private shelter washed him twice in the seven days they had him...why, I'm not totally sure, unless it was to make sure he smelled pretty when I picked him up. I have a brush for his hair (single coated, sparse, long people like hair) and I try to make sure he gets brushed every day. I need a small comb to work out tangles, and some scissors to cut the hair short at his feet and right between his eyes (very carefully of course).

He is very itchy...I am seeing some dandruff as well. He is eating well at present, and we got dewormed today (apparently shelter was not aware he needed to be). The vet gave him something for allergies, but I'd like to know how often he really needs washing (we wipe his feet clean if we need to), and what we can wash him with that won't irritate his skin.
josie1918

Re: How often does a silky need to be bathed?

Post by josie1918 »

It has been my experience that silkies really don't have much of a "dog" odor, I don't bathe any dog any more often than I have to. The reason they may have bathed her twice in 7 days is she may have had a flea infestation, the flea shampoo used may have been harsh, so this may be why her skin is dry. I would recommend brushing your dog daily,
you can give her fish oil supplements if you would like, that will benefit her skin, coat and her joints. Oh and be sure to put a little bow in her hair (I just think it looks cute, it won't help her skin :lol: )
srburk

Post by srburk »

I hadn't thought of that. I haven't seen any fleas....the vet thinks it's allergies. And I do notice we are itchier after being outside in the grass, so maybe that's it. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't detrimental to just wash when needed. Honestly, he has such thin hair most parts could probably do with a swipe of a wet washcloth. So far, he does get brushed everyday...I just need to find a little softer brush or a comb..the one I have doesn't seem to be the best at its job.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Brush every day - use a long pin cushion brush, one WITHOUT 'bobbles' on the ends of the pins - go through the coat wth this first and you will brush out the 'easy' tangles without yanking hard at the trickier tangles. (The reason for the no bobbles/balls on the end of the pins is that these catch in tangles and pull which is a sure fire way to teach a dog to hate being brushed).

Once you are through with the long pin brush, on a heavier coated dog i use a short pin brush next - you probably dont need this but for anyone who does, the long pin brush, the pins will move and slide out of a tangle if they hit one. the short pins dont flex so much and so you shift the next 'grade' of tangles with this, if at any point you hit a tangle close to the skin, stop and sort it out with the end of a comb and your fingers.

Then finally, use a fine comb (or one with two lengths of pin) and your fingers to fix any tangles.

After that, a stiff bristle brush should spread the oils down the hair shaft and keep the coat nice and shiny and stimulate the skin.

You may want to teach him to lay on his side, and start grooming on his feet, working your way up (but brushing in the direction of hair growth), so that you are always brushing from a not-brushed bit, into an area you already brushed. Section out the coat and flip the bit you dont want up so that you are always brushing right down to the skin.

If he seems itchy after being in long grass he may well be allergic to it - a wipe over with a clean damp cloth, paying special attention to his underneath parts might well help, as will keeping any grass in your back yard as short as possible (dont let it go to flower/seed!).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant