Food Agression Lesson

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Food Agression Lesson

Post by Fundog »

I learned another lesson today-- hopefully it will sink in, and I will be more careful in the future. I did some fun training with Annie and Dottie this morning. First some individual "place" training, then I worked on Dottie's "stay" training with Annie present. It went VERY well, and we all had a lot of fun with it. However, I was not very careful to make sure no tidbits were left lying around when the session was over. Apparently, one of the girls spied a single frozen lima bean (yeah, they love 'em) on the floor, and the other swooped in and scarfed it up. This of course, started a quarrel which required breaking up. Annie got her ear nipped-- not too bad, but did draw blood.

Moral to the story: after a training session with more than one dog, check to make sure there are no food bits lying around, to prevent fights from breaking out-- no matter how close friends the dogs are, food is likely to start an argument, every time.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Re: Food Agression Lesson

Post by Nettle »

That's a good reminder, Fundog - no matter how mellow the dogs, food and sometimes other resources, can be a flashpoint.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS