Nail Trimming Phobia

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wicket

Nail Trimming Phobia

Post by Wicket »

My Miniature Poodle has a nail trimming phobia. Since she's always gone to the groomer (aside from weekly baths and frequent brushing from me), her quick is pretty long. Within two weeks of going to the groomer, she's practically walking on her nails. I have experience working as bather so I know how to cut nails but whenever I touch her feet and bring out the clipper she's freaking out, squirming to get out my grasp. I did briefly work for her groomer I never did exactly what set her off---if her quick clipped too many times or simply holding her.

Over the weekend, my dog needed her nails done since she hadn't seen the groomer in 6 weeks. My dad held her far too tight and she ended up peeing on herself, baring her teeth, screaming and whining the whole time even when I wasn't clipping her nails. Since she squirms too much, I can't cut her nails by myself I have to rely on others. After the way she acted this week, I don't want to ask my dad again. Do you have any tips on helping my Poodle with her nail trimming phobia?
***Melissa***

Re: Nail Trimming Phobia

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Here is a post where Noobs explained how she got Murphy used to clipping his nails. The method she used will work for you too :D

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4814
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams