Episode 215 - Bulldog Battle - May 1

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 215 - Bulldog Battle - May 1

Post by Victoria »

RoseTyler wrote:Hello Victoria,

You had mentioned a term called "ragging" when the dogs were in a scuffle. I work very part time at a dog daycare, use to do full time. Anyways, I have seen my share of scuffles. Most of the time, it is just loud and harmless. Sometimes, it seems worse. Some dogs will NOT end it and keep going after the other dogs. This doesn't happen often! When it does though it can ruin your whole week, not too mention you are on edge when either of those dogs are together. My question is "ragging" and what exactly is that? I also, want to know, when do you finally step in and try and stop it? We use loud noises first...like squeak toys, then direct spot (usually works). I hate to use it though because it lingers in the room and gets ALL the dogs. Thank you!
Ragging is when a dog bites, holds, and then moves its head side to side, which is what dogs do when they grab prey and try to kill it. As for when to intervene, you first must be really careful about the mix of dogs that you have together. Noises like vocal interruptions are a good thing, but you have to be sure to do it before the dogs get too aroused. Once they've begun to aggress or react, it's much harder to stop it.
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Hey Victoria!! Great episode!! Kudos to the odom family 4 rehoming jojo! I know it was a hard thing to do. I have 3 ?s.
How is jojo doing in his new home?
I didn't really get the purpose of teaching the dogs turn away. Was it to teach the dogs not to go 4 eachother if a fight starts?
Did u do any teqniques with wolfgang by teaching him that Rufus means good things happen to him?
Thank u so much again 4 ur time:) greatly appriciated
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

forkin14 wrote:Victoria,

Loved the episode! You could really see the tension in the house melt away as the episode progressed. I'm glad Jojo was shown at the end with the friend that took him and how happy he is. I've noticed though in some episodes (I can't recall which exact ones) you don't use the clicker when training anymore, how come? Do some dogs just respond the same way regardless of whether or not a clicker is used?
Thanks, Lindsey.

I only use clickers for dogs that I think will respond to it well, and also only for owners who I know will be able to use it properly and effectively. Clickers aren't for everyone, but when they're appropriate, they're a wonderful tool. To me, I use clickers sometimes and other tools and methods other times - depends on the individual case. I'll be using the clicker again in later episodes.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

MJM wrote:I saw in one of the "extras" that you were working with KJ and JoJo. Did you do much work with KJ to make sure that he and JoJo got off to a good start? I would also wonder if maybe JoJo might have some issues with other dogs since he was so used to being attacked.
I worked a good bit with KJ and JoJo. KJ was pretty knowledgeable about dogs anyway, and he was a great fit for JoJo, so it worked out really well. JoJo would certainly be a case where his experience might predispose him to being involved in fights. Luckily, KJ understood that and was able to take the necessary steps to reduce that risk.
animals

Post by animals »

Hi Victoria!!
Why is it important not to repeat a command over and over when training your dog? :D
ssgmoser

Post by ssgmoser »

Victoria,

I realize this is off subject but I am really looking for some advice. I saw that you supposedly went to Animal Behavior College at one point. I am currently speaking to an advisor at that school and am looking to become a certified dog trainer. I was wondering if you found this school to be a good one.
Joe
RoseTyler

Post by RoseTyler »

Victoria wrote:
RoseTyler wrote:Hello Victoria,

You had mentioned a term called "ragging" when the dogs were in a scuffle. I work very part time at a dog daycare, use to do full time. Anyways, I have seen my share of scuffles. Most of the time, it is just loud and harmless. Sometimes, it seems worse. Some dogs will NOT end it and keep going after the other dogs. This doesn't happen often! When it does though it can ruin your whole week, not too mention you are on edge when either of those dogs are together. My question is "ragging" and what exactly is that? I also, want to know, when do you finally step in and try and stop it? We use loud noises first...like squeak toys, then direct spot (usually works). I hate to use it though because it lingers in the room and gets ALL the dogs. Thank you!
Ragging is when a dog bites, holds, and then moves its head side to side, which is what dogs do when they grab prey and try to kill it. As for when to intervene, you first must be really careful about the mix of dogs that you have together. Noises like vocal interruptions are a good thing, but you have to be sure to do it before the dogs get too aroused. Once they've begun to aggress or react, it's much harder to stop it.
Thank you Victoria,
I stayed awake for this answer because I help at the daycare this weekend...When I saw Rufus and JoJo fighting it brought back horrible memories!! Sometimes, I have trouble between loud play and when to stop it. I actually, intervene when the play is getting to loud. Even though the dogs who ARE playing are having fun...some other dog on the sidelines....might be thinking something different. I noticed the way the ODOM family just pulled the dogs away...and I also was emotional when she cried...dog fights are soooo emotionally draining ...glad you helped them and us...thank you!!! Hope you all have a wonderful night and you too Victoria...see you all next week
Dogs are perfect at being dogs, people are perfect at screwing them up
RoseTyler

Post by RoseTyler »

when I say thinking I dont mean rationalizing...sorry had to clear that
Dogs are perfect at being dogs, people are perfect at screwing them up
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

thepennywhistle wrote:Wow, that was a different situation for you to step into. I applaud
their decision to rehome JoJo (although with the speed with which
the decision was reached, I have to wonder it this was not already
being considered).
You're right. Jenny was already considering rehoming JoJo before I got there, so the decision was made relatively quickly.
Also, have you any suggestions on how to stop such a fight if control of the situation is lost and actually gets to the point of battle? We saw with Manny the poodle how to distract dogs from the less serious sort of squabble, but what can you do to stop something as intense as Rufus latching on that way once it's actually in motion?
The most effective way to stop fights between big strong dogs is to throw a coat or blanket over the fighting dogs. Once their vision is blacked out, they tend to unlatch from each other so that you can pull them apart and try to remove them from each other. You're right that sticking your hand in the midst of a fight is not only ineffective, it's also very dangerous to you.
Much applause to you for coming down firmly on the plan to train that puppy to attack. The idea of that sort of focused power in inexperienced hands gives me the shivers.
Yes, that would've been a very bad idea. What amazes me is that there was a dog training company they'd been to who were more than happy to train Wolfgang to be an attack dog with no questions asked. So irresponsible. Having them see what such dogs are capable of live and in person was invaluable for me to help convince them to let the idea go. And those were highly trained dogs - Wolfgang would doubtless not have gotten the training he would've required.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

puppymomma wrote:Love your program & methods Victoria !
This may be a little off topic...but perhaps not, as a puppy was involved in the bulldog show.
I am about to pick up my 8 week old golden retriever-poodle mix puppy in a few weeks. I am an "at home" mom and I am considering the "umbilical cord" method of potty training her ( puppy is 'attached to owner on a 6 foot leash at all times) I like the idea that the puppy is always around me, so that I can watch to see signs that she has to potty & scoot with her outside asap. I like that it eliminates many potential "accidents" since I will have her by by side constantly. What do you thik about this method of house-training?
I agree that it can be a pretty good method of housetraining, but my only concern with it is that you must not let the puppy become too attached to you. Give it some time in a puppy-proofed room or a crate when it has some 'alone' time as well. Good luck!
animals

Post by animals »

Hi Victoria,
This is my first time chatting live with you. I don't know if I'm doing it right. My grandma just got a pit-bull puppy and she refuses to crate train him. Do
you recommend crate training? Thanks so much.

Lauren
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

braeraphael wrote:Hi Victoria,

Great episode! I have a question. When you meet a client, and they have decided to re-home their dog, is it up to the owners to find the new home, or you? I know you do observe the meeting to make sure things go well and to make sure the dog ends up in the right home. But who normally finds the new home? Also, what happens if you can't find a home right away? Do the parents still keep the dog, and you work with the dog for the time being, or does the dog end up in the shelter? I'm sure it depends on the situation.
First of all, it very rarely happens that a dog on the show needs to be rehomed, and wherever possible, the dog stays in the home before it goes to its new home so that it doesn't have to go a shelter. I agree, so many dogs are given up to shelters because of fixable or avoidable behavior problems, and that's very sad. I just spend the weekend working with people and dogs from the Colorado Springs Humane Society, and it's such a shame to see so many beautiful dogs lost in those systems, however nice and well-run the shelter may be.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

kevsmom wrote:Loved the show as always. I was intersted in the look away comand. My dogs get right up in my face when I'm doing something low to the floor. Would the look away method work for my dogs? I've tried backing them away with a body block. Doesn't seem to work for me?
Yes, it sounds like the 'look away' command might work for you. It's a great non-confrontational cue for your dog - like you're not telling your dog off, but rather just to turn away. If body blocking's not working, you're right to explore other possible solutions. Good luck with it!
I think I read somewhere that you have a chocolate lab. I have one also. Actually she is a cross between lab and golden retriever. She is gorgeous and she knows it :lol:
I do have a chocolate lab named Sadie. She's a treasure.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

How was it in Colorado?
--dontpugme
ssgmoser

Post by ssgmoser »

Victoria,
What do you think of pronged collars? I am wondering if I have turned my dog aggressive by using one?