Episode 205 - Killer Intincts - Jan 30

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LoudSilence

Re: Episode 205 - Killer Intincts - Jan 30

Post by LoudSilence »

Victoria,
Thank you so much for coming here to visit with your fans!
I have lost three messages to you so far,
This one is going to be brief I volunteer in my spare time for The Internet Miniature Pinscher Service. I currently have four minpins
We love your positive reinforcement techniques, your shows and all the love and help you give to all of us in rescue. Becuse of you we are able to take in more dogs and help dogs deemed unadoptable at times.
Next week I will be prepared with my questions ahead of time in Word so my work is not lost.
Lets see if this works..
You biggest fan ever! Thank you for all the dogs in the world.
LoudSilence,
Cholo, Solo, CookieBiscotti and Broccoli.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

kimb123 wrote:Hi, Victoria! Great episode! Keep up the great work!

I'd like to ask you a question about Buddy. After the episode, did Buddy finally managed to watch television with the family?

Thanks. Kimmy
Thanks!

Buddy's continuing to improve in all areas we worked on. A lovely dog!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

deerewife wrote:Hi Victoria,
I love your show and have learned so many good techniques from watching. Not trying to hijack the thread, I just have a question about the puppy potty used in the House of Horrors episode.
I was considering trying one of these for my 4lb toy poodle- he is prone to kidney infections and when he gets ill he has to urinate very frequently. At night, he will get up, but he is quiet and if I don't wake up quick enough he has an accident. My question is if I were to get a potty for my little guy, is there a good way of training my 120lb male German Shepard not to use it? I don't want to start a peeing contest and create a worse problem.

Thank You
Good question.

Is there any way to put the puppy potty somewhere so that the GSD can't get to it? It might not be an issue, but you're wise to consider the possiblity that it could turn into a public urinal. Try to find a place to put the potty so that the smaller dog only can get to it.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

To deerewife: Maybe a small doggy door into the room or one one of babygates with the small door opening would keep the gsd from getting to the potty place at night Just a thought...
LoudSilence

Post by LoudSilence »

Victoria,
Thank you for all you do. The Peoples Choice Award was fitting, you are a real true shining helpful star.
Have you ever heard of a dog who thumbsucks the humans thumb and is very insistent and whining if unable to do this annoying habit?
LoudSilence
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

LoudSilence wrote:Victoria,
Thank you so much for coming here to visit with your fans!
I have lost three messages to you so far,
This one is going to be brief I volunteer in my spare time for The Internet Miniature Pinscher Service. I currently have four minpins
We love your positive reinforcement techniques, your shows and all the love and help you give to all of us in rescue. Becuse of you we are able to take in more dogs and help dogs deemed unadoptable at times.
Next week I will be prepared with my questions ahead of time in Word so my work is not lost.
Lets see if this works..
You biggest fan ever! Thank you for all the dogs in the world.
LoudSilence,
Cholo, Solo, CookieBiscotti and Broccoli.
What a pain, LoudSilence. Believe me, we've all been there - losing work you thought was saved.

Thanks for the kind words - it is very rewarding and humbling to hear that our show is helping make a difference in shelters such as yours - that's what it's all about. Be on the lookout for a special episode about a shelter sometime this year....

Regarding these chats, I was considering a new way of doing it so that hopefully I could get to a few more questions. What do you think about opening a thread for each week's episode while the show is airing so that users could post questions for a couple of days. Then I would answer the questions later in the week all at once. It's great chatting live with you all, but I worry that sometime I won't be available at a certain time each week.

Thoughts?
nix

Post by nix »

Victoria,

Thank you for your response. I will try to find a professional to help us. I really like your tactics and love watching your show. I really hope that it is not too late for Bella. I wish you could see her. When she gets mad she runs around the house very very fast, like a true terrier! She is such a happy dog I don't want her spirit to be broken. When we discipline her we lay her on the side, in the submissive positon, and wait for her to calm down. Sometimes it works. We tried the squirt bottle first but that made her more mad so we stopped that.

Thanks again, I hope I can find someone as great as you!

Nix
EADGBE

Post by EADGBE »

I like the live chats best myself.
LoudSilence

Post by LoudSilence »

He is a foster dog and came this way he is nearly five and came into rescue at four, he has some very quirky habits. I think we should send you a video.
Thanks Victoria
LS,
&4Pins
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I think you would way more q's thrn any human can answer if you left the thread open for a few days. If it was locked say after 24 hrs then mabye you'd get to more q's. Otherwise this way is fine as far as I'm concerned. Thank you so much for using your familytime on Sun nights to tend to the fans :D
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

whatever suits you best. as long as we know you will respond everything is all good!
deerewife

Post by deerewife »

Thanks Victoria and Maximoo,
Maybe the babygate with small doggie door would work, otherwise I might have to figure out how to make a cover for the potty.

Susan
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Maybe if the thread was open during the episode....I tend to forget my questions and forget the save message feature. Whatever's easier for you, the fans can do. We don't want this to be a hassle for you. We really apprieciate these chats.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

nix wrote:When we discipline her we lay her on the side, in the submissive positon, and wait for her to calm down. Sometimes it works. We tried the squirt bottle first but that made her more mad so we stopped that.
There's your problem. You did what's called an 'alpha roll', which is not only quite ineffective (as you learned the hard way), but also very dangerous. Same with the squirt bottle. With such techniques, you're fighting fire with fire and will only end up getting burned. With all my heart, I beg you to read some of the great articles on this site about the dangers and ineffectiveness of dominance and compulsion training techniques such as those you mention above. I know you love Bella and are trying to do the best thing for her, so take it from me - you need to employ positive reinforcement with a dog like this.

Here are some links to pages that have a lot more detailed and great info about how to tackle your problem:
http://positively.com/files/100101-bestfriends.pdf
http://positively.com/positive-reinforc ... forcement/
http://positively.com/positive-reinforc ... hilosophy/

As you read the above, note that most of the methods you've been using are classed as 'dominance' and 'alpha' 'pack theory' techniques. There are a lot of great people on these forums too - post your question in the 'dog training' section here.

Best of luck, and stay positive!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thanks to all of you for joining me! Stay tuned next week, and Boardhost will let you know how the chats will proceed in the future.

See you next week!
Victoria