Dog started popping in house at night

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

heathldv

Dog started popping in house at night

Post by heathldv »

Hi there,

My 15 month old female whippet has just started popping or peeing in the house at night, and we’re at a bit of a loss as to how to prevent this. She sleeps downstairs in the lounge with our other dog and gets taken outside to go to the toilet before we go to bed each night.

She’s fully toilet trained and never poops or person the house during the day, but over the last few weeks she’s started pretty consistently peeing or pooing in the kitchen or hallway at night. She then starts whining after she’s done it (not before to ask to be let out).

We’ve tried training her during the day to bark to be let out the back door but she doesn’t seem to transfer this to night time.

We’ve also tried closing the lounge door but it’s slightly broken and when it’s closed she bangs on it to make lots of noise but does this several times a night for attention rather than because she needs to go to the toilet (although of course we do take her out if she does this).

Does anyone have any advice about what to do (beyond fixing the lounge door!)

I’m worried that she’s maybe anxious or cold. She wears a jumper at night and we tuck her into blankets but I worry that she gets up in the night and can’t get herself tucked back into her blankets.
ImageIMG_0892 by heathldv, on Flickr