9 month old puppy waking up at 5am

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

heathldv

9 month old puppy waking up at 5am

Post by heathldv »

Hi there! I’m hoping for some advice on how we can help our 9 month old pup to learn that it’s not “morning” until at least 6.30am. My husband and I are currently at our wits end! She sleeps downstairs in the lounge with our older dog abs seems really happy to do that but since early summer when sunrise got earlier she’s started waking up earlier and earlier. Initially we had the lounge door closed but she would slam against the door at 4.30 or 5am making loads of noise. Our first response was to get up and let her come upstairs at which point she would just snuggle under the duvet and showed no signs of wanting to go pee or poop until 7am. But we weren’t happy with this and she started doing it earlier and earlier I think to get let upstairs. To stop this we started putting her outside when she woke up for a pee or poop but giving her no attention and putting her back in the lounge then ignoring her until 6.30 or 7 which worked to a certain extent- she did go back to bed but we were hoping she would start to wake up later if she realised she wasn’t going to get any attention (this seems to be really what she wanted) but it didn’t work so we decided to leave the lounge door open so she couldn’t slam it and put a stair gate in so we wouldn’t get woken up by her. We’ve done that two days in a row and each time woken up to pee & poop by the back door so that clearly isn’t an option. Seems if she wakes up and doesn’t have the option of a snuggle she properly wakes up abs does need to go out.

Any advice much appreciated as the lack of sleep has been making my husband ill ☹️

Any advice much appreciated!
ImageIMG_0892 by heathldv, on Flickr