Hello from Belgium

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Colt_An2

Hello from Belgium

Post by Colt_An2 »

Hello everyone!

I'm Olivier, 42, from Belgium, although I live in Russia now (and I'm about to move... but that's a completely different thing already)
I've joined this forum to discuss dog behaviour and other issues, since I recently adopted a young Scottish Shepherd puppy named Strela, to keep company to my older Basset Fauve de Bretagne, Vostok, who's already 11. He used to go hunting with my father when he was young, but now stays at home and seems to enjoy the company of other dogs when we invite people who have them, which is one of the main reasons as to why we adopted Strela.

Apart from them, I have two cats, a huge, lazy Maine Coon called Winston who's almost as big as Vostok, and a breedless long haired white cat who used to be called Guimauve (French for "marshmallow") but got renamed Ivan the Terrible after taking a liking to bringing half-gutted carcasses of whatever small animal he got his claws on.

My main issue, and the reason why I've joined this forum, is that I'm not familiar AT ALL with the behaviour, needs and issues related to Scottish Shepheds, and this is exactly why I have created an account here.
I will then be asking a couple questions there and there, to learn more about my new pet and how to care about her.

Have a nice day!
JudyN

Re: Hello from Belgium

Post by JudyN »

Welcome to the forum, Olivier. What a wonderful menagerie you have :D

Is a Scottish shepherd the same as a rough collie (Lassie dog), or a Border collie?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Colt_An2

Post by Colt_An2 »

Thanks for your welcome, it IS a pleasure to live with them, my wife, our children and I all love them.
The Scottish shepherd is a slightly different breed, it's the ones who look like they have a lion's mane around the head, while rough and border collies have a less extravagant "haircut".
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Colt_An2 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:41 am The Scottish shepherd is a slightly different breed, it's the ones who look like they have a lion's mane around the head, while rough and border collies have a less extravagant "haircut".
I think we need photos! I've had a look online and they look very similar to rough collies. One article I found said there were only a hundred or so of the breed left - though that was 'Scotch shepherds' which I'm guessing are the same.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009