Puppy play question

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kiwidog

Puppy play question

Post by Kiwidog »

Hi, my 6 month old border collie cross puppy has a Wednesday lunch playdate with a staffie pup with is a couple of months older. They are about the same size (ie smallish) and seem to really like each other.

The problem is when they are running free on the beach and puppy playing the staffie bites Luna's neck and sometimes holds on. Luna doesn't whine, neither of them growl and they occasionally take micro (very micro) breaks. Today we noticed Luna's hackles were up - though she seemed to want to carry on playing.

We broke them up and put them back up on their leads but wondering what the best way to deal with this is and if Luna really is enjoying these interactions or not. Usually when she is intimidated by another, usually larger, dog she will come over to me and whine and jump up like she's asking me to save her.

thanks!
Nettle

Re: Puppy play question

Post by Nettle »

If she were my pup, I'd stop this completely.

They are both becoming adolescents, and it is about to change from "play" to something more serious. Better not to cross that divide. They are two totally different types of dog - one bred with herding instinct, one bred with fighting instinct. It isn't popular to mention that, but I have seen too many unhappy results over the years to take the least risk now.

I am never at ease about the dog "play" thing anyway. It's really a testing of strength and weakness. You do get benign "play" but it isn't usual (the way human "sport" is also a testing of strength and weakness).

Time for you to do the playing with your pup instead. She will learn the things you want her to, at the pace you want her to.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Kiwidog

Post by Kiwidog »

Great, thank you. Will stop the play dates! The other dog's walker (not her owner) was uncomfortable too.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's rare that one's gut feeling is anything other than completely right.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS