GSD

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

GSD

Post by ZaraD »

Hi

Kera's been looking at breeders , she has got in contact with mystic skies and is waiting for a reply.

In the meantime she's been looking at breeders and has found one that she likes , she's tests for DM as well as hips, elbows and PD. The breeder has answered all of the question Kera had and she was happy with the awnser and the breeder asked her loads of questions.

https://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeder/463 ... sic_site=1

Her dogs do have a slight slope but Kera things they look and move better than the show lines.

What do you think?
ZaraD

Re: GSD

Post by ZaraD »

Here's also the website for mystic skies who lotsaquestions mentioned.

Here's the girls http://www.mysti-skies.co.uk/our%20girls.htm

And the boys http://www.mysti-skies.co.uk/our%20boys.htm

I'm hoping Nettle sees this as there are unusual colours is this good or bad nettle if there are unusual colours?

Also here's another storm lake who has videos you can see https://youtu.be/ohAWNC_XdlA

http://www.stormlake.moonfruit.com
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Ok so I just received an email from Kera and mysti skies were not helpful at all and said that it's none of kera's bussniss if she elbow tests or not and was rather rude to her so I told her mysti skies don't seem like a good breeder and clearly are avoiding awnser the question.

So she's not as friendly as you thought lotsaquestions.
Last edited by ZaraD on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ZaraD wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:43 am Ok so I just received an email from Kera and mysti skies were not helpful at all and said that it's none of kera's bussniss if she elbow tests or not and was rather rude to her
That's odd, seeing as she gives the elbow scores for several of the dogs on her website....
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I told Kera that storm lakes dogs are a bit on the big side for example none of her males is 73cm yet GSD are only supposed to be about 66cm. So it looks to me like she's breeding for large GSD. So there also of her list just the first link I posted now.

So I thought maybe to help her find a breeder maybe it would be good if you could advise what you would be looking for if you were to get a GSD?
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:33 am
ZaraD wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:43 am Ok so I just received an email from Kera and mysti skies were not helpful at all and said that it's none of kera's bussniss if she elbow tests or not and was rather rude to her
That's odd, seeing as she gives the elbow scores for several of the dogs on her website....
Year I couldn't believe the response either but there aren't elbow scores on every dog so poor Kera just wanted to ask if it was maybe that the website wasn't updated but no she got that response instead :shock:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I know this is kinda going off topic a bit but this is interesting to look at to see how much the GSD has changed .

http://www.angesgardiens.ca/ANG/Bundessieger%20list.htm
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ZaraD wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:36 amSo I thought maybe to help her find a breeder maybe it would be good if you could advise what you would be looking for if you were to get a GSD?
Honestly, there is so much on this forum about what to look for in GSDs and how to find a good one that I don't think it's fair to ask the experts (which I'n not) to type it all up again. The search function is really useful :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thank you Judy - I agree.

As I have specifically been asked about whether unusual colours are good or bad - unusual colours in a breed mean one of two things:

There has been an unofficial outcross to another breed in order to get the colour. This is GOOD because it means a wider gene pool, BUT health checks still apply because the hidden breed may carry the same genetic defects.

or

An unusual colour has appeared as a 'sport' which is what we call a one-off incident in a breed. This is then inbred to create more animals of that colour. This is BAD because it means a very small gene pool which is risky in terms of potential for genetic defects.

If your friend isn't going to show, isn't going to breed, and the rest of the stock appears healthy, unusual colours are not important except as stated above.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks Nettle and Judy

I understand what your saying Judy it's just she's read most of the posts on here and still is having no luck in that the breeders she's found who do all the health tests are either working lines which is not suited to her or Showlines which she was fine with until she read a few things on here that changed her mind and that leaves mainly long coats who don't do all the tests.

That's why she's stuck.

And I do apologize as I know your probably fed up of me bringing this up again but kera's my friend and I want to help her but don't have the knowledge you do.

So really what I'm asking is what would you do if you knew which breed you loved and you weren't going to ever change your mind on breed but you struggling to find a breeder because you want a GSD who is health tested , good structure and good temperament but all the breeders who health test for DM are either working lines which aren't suited to a first time owner or show lines but she's read on here that show lines structure means there quality of life is not as good because there structure is comprised so she decided against them but then all the long coats or dogs with better structure there breeders don't test for DM.

That again why she's stuck so she either chooses a showline so it's tested for DM or she ignores the DM test in favour of good structure. So you can see why she's stuck .
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

She has all the facts though, and repeating facts or opinions won't get her any further. There isn't a simple right or wrong decision, even if made by an expert - it comes down to individual choice, like whether to go on holiday to somewhere where there is a little political unrest.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:52 am She has all the facts though, and repeating facts or opinions won't get her any further. There isn't a simple right or wrong decision, even if made by an expert - it comes down to individual choice, like whether to go on holiday to somewhere where there is a little political unrest.
I suppose it doesn't help that people on a GSD fourm are saying everything she's been told about Showlines is wrong that they do still have a quality of life.

So really it's a matter of which is most important health or structure?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's a matter of what is possible, what isn't, and where she is prepared to compromise. A good life lesson.

ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Nettle wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:46 am It's a matter of what is possible, what isn't, and where she is prepared to compromise. A good life lesson.
Very sorry Nettle I know im gonna come across as daft but I don't quite understand could you explain just in a lil more detail? Sorry , I don't want to get it wrong when telling Kera. I really do appreciate your help.

The compromise bit you mentioned she would be happy to compromise on structure as health would be more important but then she's worried if she gets a showline her dog won't have a quality of life like mentioned on here in another post but if she compromise health for structure she's worried her dog will get DM , what would you be happy to compromise Nettle if this was you?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Your friend needs to decide what she is prepared to compromise on. I can't put it any clearer than that. She gets the breed she wants with the temperament she wants, understands it is going to die young and cost a mint in vet bills, or she gets a slightly healthier specimen with a huge work drive and compromises on how much she can train it, where she can take it and what she can do with it, or she gets another breed that hasn't got health, work drive or temperament issues and will fit into the life she wants.