GSD

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Re: GSD

Post by ZaraD »

Nettle wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:42 pm Your friend needs to decide what she is prepared to compromise on. I can't put it any clearer than that. She gets the breed she wants with the temperament she wants, understands it is going to die young and cost a mint in vet bills, or she gets a slightly healthier specimen with a huge work drive and compromises on how much she can train it, where she can take it and what she can do with it, or she gets another breed that hasn't got health, work drive or temperament issues and will fit into the life she wants.
Thanks Nettle, she said that a high drive working GSD would be out so that leaves the tow other compromises but she doesn't want a dog or will die young ( I think you were meaning the Showlines) so she said it will have to be another breed but she would only be happy to compromise to another breed who looks like a GSD and who is very similar to the GSD so she said what about a Belgian Tervuren or Groenendael?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

She could think about rescuing, you know the adult temperament then. There was a GORGEOUS GSD teenage girl up for rescue at dog's trust when we went. We reserved her but I was worried I wouldn't be able to control her (she pulled like a truck and was excitement reactive), but I was very much a newbie to dog training / behaviour then. In reality she was lovely and just young, and if I could wind back time she would be with me right now. Instead she found another home, with someone better no doubt!

If you look at most major rescues they tend to have GSD's or GSD crosses, and not always because they have issues. A lot of the time people bite of more dog than they can chew, but since you fostered for a rescue I am sure you know that!
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:19 pm She could think about rescuing, you know the adult temperament then. There was a GORGEOUS GSD teenage girl up for rescue at dog's trust when we went. We reserved her but I was worried I wouldn't be able to control her (she pulled like a truck and was excitement reactive), but I was very much a newbie to dog training / behaviour then. In reality she was lovely and just young, and if I could wind back time she would be with me right now. Instead she found another home, with someone better no doubt!

If you look at most major rescues they tend to have GSD's or GSD crosses, and not always because they have issues. A lot of the time people bite of more dog than they can chew, but since you fostered for a rescue I am sure you know that!
In already suggested this as I loved working with the GSD but even when I suggested it she said but she's worried about if for example the dog was showline she'd be worried about the structure and all the problems she's having now and GSD cross would depend on the other cross.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I'm gonna be honest as if known her for so long and were very close and I'm not even in agreement with her on the GSD I still think she should have stayed with the Eurasier but the only problem was when she met one with a shepherd her heart was calling for a GSD . She said it herself that Eurasier suit her and everything she loves about the GSD the Eurasier has but I'm not sure if you can make yourself love a breed and forget about the shepherd?

Tell me if I'm wrong but honest to god some the dogs on here look like GSD and if I didn't know they were Eurasier I would have thought they were GSD. http://www.glasireurasiers.co.uk/photos/4593082239
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Well with rescue dogs, if they are in their adult bodies with their adult joints, any early onset issues (hip, knees) has a good chance of showing up already. Most of the time they are crossed with Labs or Collies in rescues, but I have seen some husky and akita GSD crosses! Good luck whoever took those akitaxGSD pups home :lol:

With any dog you have a risk of illness or joint issues, because they are living creatures and break just like we do. It is just something you risk when you get a dog no matter how healthy their parents are. You could have the worlds fittest, healthiest dog but then they could go and eat a bunch of plastic and be stuck in the vets for ages and cost you thousands. Or they could turn a corner too quick and snap their ligament and go lame.

At the end of the day you will love the dog you have, whatever the breed.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Just a quick update Kera has decided to not get a dog until hopefully things improve in the show world for the GSD so she can get a GSD one day.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Perhaps, if she really enjoys the company of dogs, she could foster. Foster homes are always needed and she sounds like someone who will put in the time and effort.