Sister training!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Sister training!

Post by Shalista »

I didn't train my dog but i did train my sister! She just told me that she used to think i was an idiot for training bax positively but that over time she's realized how even if she smacks Ki he still keeps doing what hes doing. She says she's stopped hitting him and she feels much better about herself. She's looking to get a new dog eventually (a whole nother bucket of worms :roll: ) and she says she'd train him positively when she gets him. yay for positive training taking over the world. one convert at a time!
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Re: Sister training!

Post by Nettle »

YAY for YOU, Shalista! So hard to train humans compared to dogs.

There's still time for your sister to train Ki positively. She doesn't have to start from scratch with a new dog. That's another fabulous advantage of positive training - no matter what was done to the dog before, it WILL respond to reward-based interaction.

How you stop your sister getting another dog while she still has Ki I do not know :? but maybe others will have some workable ideas.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Re: Sister training!

Post by Erica »

Yay! Congrats Shalista, that is awesome news :D

I may suggest just trying to show her how Ki can still learn with positive reinforcement, just show her how you'd teach sit, down, etc from the beginning.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14