old English Sheepdog?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

old English Sheepdog?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi

my sister has been doing her research like me on which breed and she is looking and the old English sheepdog as her first dog and is pretty sure that the breed is right for her as she has spent time with them in breeders homes one breeder allowed her to walk her dogs. i just wanted to ask if there a good choice for a first time owner as i was a bit worried when she told me the breed. she not worried at all. can a first time owner make it work with the Old English sheepdog?

also what breed issues might she face in training?

grooming is not an issue as im a groomer and would do it for free for my sister. she does plan on going to training class's.
many thanks
Zara
Nettle

Re: old English Sheepdog?

Post by Nettle »

As you are taking care of the grooming commitment - which is huge - there isn't much else to challenge a first-time dog owner. It is a short-lifespan breed with quite a few health issues, and fairly barky. So choose breeder carefully, and if a noisy dog is likely to cause neighbour problems, then this has to be considered.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Re: old English Sheepdog?

Post by ZaraD »

thanks Nettle. my sister was happy with your advice and is grateful for you taking the time to help. :D