Noob alert!

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ixxi

Noob alert!

Post by Ixxi »

Hi all,

I'm from West Sussex in the UK, I have my two little loves, Ruby (Roobs), who I've had for 3 1/2 years, she's a short haired lurcher, just a little bigger than a whippet, around 6-7 years old, who came from the RSPCA, before that she was on a travellers' site in Ireland, then once over in the UK had a short stint with someone who returned her to the RSPCA as being to much to handle (she's brilliant, I have no idea what their problem was!!). She has chronic bronchitis but we manage this with an inhaler.
My second pup is Crumpet. She's been with me only just over a week. She's another little lurcher, but fluffy (the softest coat ever!), no idea what the cross is there, Bedlington was mentioned, again she's just a little bigger than a whippet. She's around 1 year old, and was found by the side of the road with her leg so badly broken they had to remove it, and the shoulder too on that side (front left). She's the sweetest natured little thing, she's adapting really well to life on three legs (actually she keeps up with Roobs when tearing around the garden!!).
The two of the are getting on like a house on fire, it's great for Roobs as since the mega dose of steroids they put her on this time last year to get the bronchitis under control, we've struggled to get her weight back down. She gets walked twice a day but has never regained her bouncy, pre-steroid self. Now she tears around the garden with Crumpet, it's lovely to see :)
I spent most of yesterday reading the entire 37 page raw feeding thread (it was a very quiet day at work!), this has been something I've been thinking about for a long time, and I'm going to get going with that now, I'm convinced it will be the best thing for both of them. Crumpet is still very underweight, and Roobs is a couple of kilos over. I think a raw diet will be wonderful for both of them. I'm even wondering now if actually it may help with Roobs' bronchitis, as there is seemingly no one cause for this condition.

I'm really interested in becoming a trainer one day, but really sad to see there is no Victoria Stilwell training program in the UK currently. Can anyone recommend a really good course for this?

Have a fabulous day :)

Ix
JudyN

Re: Noob alert!

Post by JudyN »

Welcome to the forum - there's a few big lurcher fans here :D Which is to say we're big fans of lurchers, not (only) fans of big lurchers :lol:

I'm sure the raw feeding will go well - it'll be very interesting to see if it helps with Ruby's bronchitis.

A couple of training establishments worth looking at are the IMDT http://www.imdt.uk.com/ and APDT http://www.apdt.co.uk/ I believe both are 100% positive, but don't know enough to recommend them.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ixxi

Re: Noob alert!

Post by Ixxi »

Thanks Judy, much appreciated! :)