Puppy Crying in Crate

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bumpy

Puppy Crying in Crate

Post by Bumpy »

Hi all

This is my first post and I'm after a bit of advice.

I've got an 11wk old puppy who has been with me for nearly a week. He's doing really well but I want to make sure I get his crate training right. He currently sleeps next to me on the floor with his crate open and just a very small area to come out. The first few nights I've put my hand how and said "go sleepies" when he's tried to get up to the bed and then during the night taken him out if he wakes and whimpers. Last night we went went right through and tonight he's settled himself for sleep, both for the first time.

We've started crate training during the day and he'll go in and chew a kong with the door shut, or if I put him in whilst he's sleepy he's ok with the door open. But as soon as he's finished his kong or as soon as I shut the door if he's sleeping he starts to whimper. I've tried to make sure I let him out when quiet but also not to leave him to cry as I don't want him to get a negative association. So how do I get him to progress to being in there with the door shut?

Sorry for the long post but would really appreciate some advise.
rachel540

Re: Puppy Crying in Crate

Post by rachel540 »

Hi! Whats the aim of the training, what is the desired outcome - to leave him at home in the crate while you are out? Or just as a resting place throughout the day, so you can send him to "his place" when needed?

These might be useful reading....
http://www.thelabradorsite.com/your-lab ... -training/
http://positively.com/dog-behavior/basi ... the-crate/
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
dog_lover48

Post by dog_lover48 »

What do you do when you let him out when he cries? Correct, you don't want the crate to be a negative place, but if you let him out every time he whines, then he learns that whining will mean he gets let out. Sometimes with crate training, you honestly have to let them whine. If you let him out when he whines, you're basically rewarding him for whining. Most puppies will just settle in after a while. Wait for at least 3 seconds of quiet, then you can treat him or let him out. To help with the process you can try feeding his meals in the crate and putting an item with your scent in his cage like a jacket. At night, if he whines, it's okay to take him out because he might have to potty, but nothing more then just a trip to the bathroom. If you play with him he will be waking up constantly throughout the night. Crate training takes time to master.

Also try reading this article: http://positively.com/dog-behavior/pupp ... ingcrying/
Bumpy

Post by Bumpy »

The purpose is to leave him in there whilst he and my older dog wait for the dog sitter or if I have to pop out.

He's fine with the door open and will go in himself, which I reward. And he's fine if he's occupied. I never let him out when he whines, I wait for a bit of quiet and then let him out. I just wanted to check that letting him whine a bit was ok, waiting for him to settle and then let him out.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Please do not leave him in there to whine or cry.

The trick is (and this is used with all animals who may need to be crated from dogs to big cats and more!), to let them know they CAN come out ANY time they want to and then ensure that they feel so comfortable and confident that they do not want to come out!

To do this you start by rewarding them for being in there (treats, kongs) but also by being completely ready to release them before they cry or in any way struggle, paw etc etc. So the second pup heads toward the crate door, the crate door is opened and he is allowed out. There are no treats for coming out, more treats are provided inside the crate.

By making it the pups choice to be in the crate and initially giving them the control over the situation you make them completely confident about being in there - by providing rewards in there you make it rewarding and desirable to be in there.

By avoiding any distress about coming OUT of the crate you avoid any negative association with it, and you can then build up a habit of being inside the crate, relaxing in there, sleeping in there. But you have to take it slowly and work at the dogs pace!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant