My Guardian Cara

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

alecs722

My Guardian Cara

Post by alecs722 »

Hey everybody! I just wanted to share my first experience with my GSD, named Cara, protecting me. She is only 10 months, but her instincts are very sharp. We've had a pretty bumpy road so far. I got her when she was 3 Months old. She lived with me and my wife for 2 months, after that she went to live with my parents, until she was about 7 Months old when she returned to us, so really, I didn't have that big of a bond with her, unfortunately. When she began training, I seeked the help of a trainer, but when I realised that he used dominance, I quickly stopped. From that point on, I'm trying to train her myself. Anyway, I digress.
Yesterday, I took her to work with me on our farm, outside of town. When I wanted to leave work, I was confronted by 20 angry gypsies who were put of by the fact that we sent a shipment of our products and they didn't receive their money. The money didn't get to us, so we couldn't pay them. They did not understand that and continued to yell. It was just me and Cara, everyone else left. While I was trying to talk to them, they were all around me. At one point,I felt a quick pull on the leash and Cara started growling and barking at one of the gypsies behind me, because the guy reached into his pocket and pulled out a car key. I guess Cara thought he wanted to harm me or something. Afterwards I got her and myself into the car and we drove home. I just wanted to share this with you, because I was extremely proud and surprised by a dog who didn't receive any training in protection. It was pure loyalty and a sense of defending me and herself.
In closing, I have a little joke: "For people who don't think a dog is a man's best friend, lock your spouse and your dog in the trunk for a hour. When you open it up, check which of them is happy to see you..." :lol: :lol: :lol:
JudyN

Re: My Guardian Cara

Post by JudyN »

alecs722 wrote:In closing, I have a little joke: "For people who don't think a dog is a man's best friend, lock your spouse and your dog in the trunk for a hour. When you open it up, check which of them is happy to see you..." :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's hilarious, thank you :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's possible that Cara was just responding to the stress of the situation, rather than protecting you - but it's lovely that you're feeling the bond develop and want to tell people about it! Her stress levels might remain higher than normal for a few days, so make sure she has a relaxing, stress-free time for a while.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009