Hello! from a hired Petco Trainer.

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mayume

Hello! from a hired Petco Trainer.

Post by Mayume »

Hi guys! I joined this forum because I was recently hired at a Petco as a dog trainer here in Colorado. I am getting ready to start that training in November. Fortunately, Petco isn't enough for me. I am doing so much research myself that I am ahead of the game. I am hoping to become an excellent trainer, eventually work with rehabilitation and service dogs. I was inspired to work with service dogs when I met my boyfriend. He is deaf, and I've seen his struggles through-out the 5 years we have been together. I see how a service dog would fit into his life, our lives. As per my personal training and research I am doing, I've loaded up on books. Currently reading through Family Friendly Dog Training: A six week program by Patricia McConnell. I've bought a dog breed bible and study a new breed everyday. I also have a reference guide that goes more in depth into breeds, and behavior, and history. Oh, I love me some books.

I know that Petco trainers can be taboo. That's why, though it's a great foot in the door, I strive to be something better. Another dog trainer was hired with me and I see this is a time waster for her, she wants to be doing something else with her life, when I want to be a dog trainer with mine. Behavior has always been something that I loved. I've loved Victoria Stilwell since the moment I began watching her show. She is a great inspiration.

Some stuff about me. I'm a 22 year old Coloradoian female. I'm a knitter and crocheter (though, I've recently forgotten how to make a granny square...) and a gamer. I can cook a mean dish (throw one at me! I can do it!) and I love Doctor Who. I wear my flip flops until there is enough snow on the ground to cover my toes. I'm also a giant horror movie fan. :)

I'm an open book and would love any and all information from anyone on here. :)
JudyN

Re: Hello! from a hired Petco Trainer.

Post by JudyN »

Welcome :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
Lucky you! Welcome.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Hello there! We sound pretty similar, with the knitting/crocheting, gaming, and cooking. And dogs of course! I hope you have a good time here. It's a wonderful place to learn!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14