Introduction

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

islandpet

Introduction

Post by islandpet »

Hi to everyone, here I am so excited to join on positively forum. I wish to share my knowledge and also gather lot of information from this forum. Let Cheer up to all guys.
Denise91

Re: Introduction

Post by Denise91 »

Hi everyone my name is denise I live in Ireland and I have a yorkshire terrier.He`s a very good dog but i have a little problem.He does listen to me but i would like to teach him more things but i cant as he does not eat any treats!He doesnt eat dry food.He only eats cans.(wet food) I dont know what to do.Ive so many treats in my house that i would like to give him or use in order to train him but he doesnt eat anything like that.
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Hi islandpet! Welcome to the forum!

Hi Denise91! Welcome to you, too! As to rewards for training, it doesn't have to be treats - does your dog have a favorite toy, game, etc? Some dogs are happy to learn new skills if it means a quick game of tug/fetch/etc. Alternately, some dogs don't like store bought treats at all, but love things like dog-safe veggies (tiny bits of carrot or green pepper are my dog's favorites!) or meat (I dehydrate strips of turkey meat - plain, no salt or anything - and calf liver, then store in the freezer and just take out what I need for the day). Hope that helps!

Edit: I should add - obviously don't use anything toxic or dangerous as treats! Such as: grapes/raisins, cooked bones, etc, etc.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Hi there Denise91 and welcome to the forum.

You'll get more views if you post in the Dog Training Advice section.

What canned food are you feeding at the moment? Most of the canned food you get here (such as pedigree or butchers) is not great for dogs and can cause tummy upset.
Denise91 wrote:Ive so many treats in my house that i would like to give him or use in order to train him but he doesnt eat anything like that.

It sounds like you are using commerical dog treats for training, if that's the case you could try some real meat or cheese. Lot's of yorkies seem to have very small appetites so you could try doing some training with him before he has his first meal of the day.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules