Flea bites on dog...

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

annaoj

Flea bites on dog...

Post by annaoj »

We went to view a house yesterday and as my partner was walking ahead of me he started scratching his leg and realised there were fleas jumping around everywhere. The house belongs to a member of his family, and she didn't warn us, in fact she suggested being careful in the garden for ticks... The dog was running around with us, and has been scratching ever since. Both him and the cat have been treated with frontline/stronghold so have never had a flea problem. Now the dog has flea bites all over his lower half, even on his testicles... I have bathed him this afternoon to try and help but was wondering if there is anything I can put on them to help the scratching and irritation?

I'm really annoyed because I found a flea on me last night when we got home, I just hope they don't start infesting themselves in my apartment too! The dog is due for frontline next week, although not sure if it's ok to do him a bit early... he's only 7 months old.
bthompson

Re: Flea bites on dog...

Post by bthompson »

I have recently had a flea problem also. I have 2 four month old bichons. They're first flea preventative the vet gave was advantix. I treated them and began taking them outside for potty training. A week later, i noticed them scratching and found a few fleas. The vet switched them to trifexis and it kills fleas as soon as they bite. So far, works great!

As for the irritation, i use a little cornstarch and rub it on their skin. This is also good to help keep the doggie smell down in between baths.

P.s. the vet allowed me to start the trifexis a week before their next flea treatment was due. However, I'm not recommending that. I would call. They should be able to tell you over the phone.
labradorfriend

Re: Flea bites on dog...

Post by labradorfriend »

When my dog had flea bites it was really bad. She got it all over her body, no matter how we treat it, it keeps coming back. We tried to trace the source, and found out that dogs outside our apartment got fleas. We decided to move and find a new place, and tried to treat my dog. After 2 weeks her flea bites healed, no more scratching and her hair grown.