Dirty belly

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rachel540

Dirty belly

Post by rachel540 »

Just a quick question, we dont want to bath pepper but her once pink belly is now black, what can i use to clean her skin? Just a damp cloth doesnt work. Her thick coat protects the rest of her body but her belly looks so dirty. Any suggestions?
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
Greyluvver

Re: Dirty belly

Post by Greyluvver »

Can't you just wash her belly? My wee whippy, Sherry, has a bad habit of rolling in unmentionable substances and I just tend to wash the bits that are dirty. I can do it quite easily by getting her to stand over a bucket, rather than making her actually get into a bath.
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Water doesnt do anything and i dont know anything about doggy shampoo and whether you can use it directly on skin (not fur) ive noticed a few spots like yellow heads now. Any suggestions?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That's often caused by nettles.

Why not wipe her tummy down with a cloth and a very little olive oil? That will take any dirt off and won't make her tummy sore.

Of course the colour change may be pigment, as puppy underneaths often change from pink to dark as the puppy grows. You may be trying to clean something that is already clean :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I think the spots can also be caused by running through gorse.

Someone, somewhere, recommended Johnson's baby shampoo as an alternative to dog shampoo. I'd have thought that as long as you rinse it off as well as you can, it's unlikely to be harmful. I've also used weak Ecover washing-up liquid on the assumption that if it's safe for their bowls and my hands, it should be OK for dogs.

I've also tried to clean darker pigmentation off Jasper's tummy :oops:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Oh :oops: i didnt think it would just be darker pigmentation haha it just looks grubby haha and with the spots i thought her skin had reacted like ours does if we don't wash and have greasy skin :oops: thanks for the help i'll stop worrying about it and leave it be.

Also Judy you mentioned Ecover washing up liquid is safe to wash their bowls, etc. does that mean normal Fairy washing up liquid isnt??
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

rachel540 wrote:Also Judy you mentioned Ecover washing up liquid is safe to wash their bowls, etc. does that mean normal Fairy washing up liquid isnt??
No, it'll be fine for their bowls! I just happen to use Ecover myself anyway and though I can't claim to be an expert, I guess there's fewer 'nasties' in it than Fairy.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
chay

Post by chay »

we just use pH-neutral/non scented baby wipes for wiping over gypsydog when she gets messy. i giggled at the thought that maybe you were trying to clean her newly-pigmented regular skin, though! :D
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Hehehe I gues I wanted her to stay puppy pink forever :D