How long does it take in real-time?

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Aniron Minuial

How long does it take in real-time?

Post by Aniron Minuial »

Hi,

We can see miracles happen during the half hour show of "It's me or the dog", and now that we have a puppy of our own, I have vowed to use Victoria's techniques as they seem humane and most importantly: they really work miracles.

But I can't help but wonder: how long does it take Victoria in real-time to train these dogs for the show?
Is it one day, or two or three, a week or maybe two, a month...

Does anyone know (from experience or from knowing someone who was on the show)?

Thanks,
Ani
ladybug1802

Re: How long does it take in real-time?

Post by ladybug1802 »

It will depend on various factors, the same as it does in 'real life'.....it will depend on the dog, what the issue is, how consistent the owners are in continuing the training. Dogs pick up things at different rates so as with all pups/dogs, you cant ever say how long it will take to train them, and if it is a behavioural issue it will take quite a bit longer.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Usually the voice-over will indicate any time lapse on any given clip so the viewer can tell how long something actually takes.

It's important to keep in mind that all dogs are different and, just like babies, will develop and/or learn at different rates. So just work with the dog in front of you and enjoy the journey. Your dog will ultimately teach you more than you will teach it. :)
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

As already stated it all depends on the dog. But what your working on also plays into "how long". things like sit, stay, down, the average dog can pickup and learn fairly quickly. Behavioral challenges such as fear reactions towards other dogs or people for example can take a lot longer than we humans would like. But are absolutely addressable.

So, what I would encourage you to do is think about what it is you would like to teach your dog or have your dog do. then post in the training section if you need help getting started. We can also recommend some good books on how to get started training your dog, not the least of which would be Victoria's own book which you can buy off of Amazon or Victoria's own site.

Behavioral challenges such as (but not limited to) the previously mention fear issues generally are not addressed in basic training books or basic dog training classes. So if you have any challenges beyond the basics sit, stay, down type stuff I strongly encourage you to post in the training section and we can help you get moving in the right direction.