How often should I feed ???

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kiwikate13

How often should I feed ???

Post by kiwikate13 »

HI,
I have a 5 year old black lab who loves his food...
As a puppy we fed him twice a day. Now he is fed once a day at dinnertime.
He drools when we eat around him and begs for food with those sad eyes.
We have been cutting back his food in an attempt to trim him down (he was 53kg).
He has lost quite a lot of weight but I am unsure if it is better for him if he is fed twice daily or once.

Another issue that we have with him is that he loves to eat poo. His own, the cats, any that he finds on his walks. He has done this for as long as we can remember and is a habit that I would love to curb.

I have read that pineapple and spinich can make the poo taste bad which we are going to try but I wonder if he were fed twice a day he would not feel the need to eat the poo to full himself up.

I would really appreciate your help.

All the best from New Zealand

Kate
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Twice a day may well be better - try feeding him from a Kong toy instead of a bowl, or making him work for his food in training sessions, or scattering it in the back yard for him to find...

All these things will make him feel more satisfied with what he has, food is important to dogs and dry kibble that takes a few seconds to hoover up satisfies no one. Imagine if youd feel satsified if we had 'food pills' and a meal took a second to swallow!