Under eye fur treatment

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Po'ele

Under eye fur treatment

Post by Po'ele »

Hi,
Our dog gets a little goop in his eye corners, which I try to remove without rubbing into the fur. In spite of this, the fur is a little stiff under his eyes. Our dog is black, so we don't worry about tear stains. I'd like to know if there is a natural, safe way to soften and remove the material under his eyes. We've been using Petco Tear Stain remover, but as I said, we don't care about stains--just want to clean fur under the eyes safely. I was thinking maybe a little olive oil on a piece of cotton to soften & clean the hard fur.

I should add that we have asked the vet about this and he checks out fine, just probably a genetic thing of watery eyes.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Lynzi

Re: Under eye fur treatment

Post by Lynzi »

I would soften it up with some warm water on a rag, and maybe even a little tearless shampoo. try using a flea comb. they seem to always be able to pull those goopies out. if you dont have one, they sell them at petsmart for about $5 i believe. the best ones to use are actually the cat ones because they are much smaller and they can get in those little corners easier. make sure that when your trying to brush that out that its soft so its not pulling on the skin and wont cause irritation. hope that helps!
SilkySweetheart

Post by SilkySweetheart »

Well, stiffness happens with my dog as well. I think it is just a thing that will happen. I prefer to get out the goopies with a damp paper towel a bath time. If not, the use yur handy dandy fingers!! Gross, I know, but so if poop scooping. We have to do it right? :D
Chica, my silky sweetheart ♥
clippercottage

Post by clippercottage »

I would check what food your feeding.. The majority of the dogs that get the staining under the eyes is due to a food sensitivity.. I always recommend going to a grain free diet when parents ask me about it.. Blue is a great food while a little more expensive well worth it..