Dekota territory

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sj96skittles

Dekota territory

Post by sj96skittles »

Just saw the new episode tonite!! I was AWESOME!!! I really enjoyed it alot!! :D during the door training how long was the actual process?? Seemed really long! I'm impressed with how patient Vic is <3 I could never wait that long to get a dog to stay.
dontpugme

Re: Dekota territory

Post by dontpugme »

I'm downloading it on iTunes right now....18 minutes remaining :( haha
--dontpugme
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Yep, really, really enjoyed last nights episode. lots of focus on the dog...loved it.

The only really "complaint" I had was the appearance of the harness as the solution to the walking issues. I LOVED how Victoria recommended using a harness over a choke chain or even typical collar. But I wished there would have been more emphasis on the special harness being a tool to assist in reaching a goal verses the appearance of it being a "solution". I know Victoria said as much, but it was easily missed if you "blinked" so to speak.

I really liked how they showed that sometimes things take a while with the door training, but that patients pays off. very nice.

VERY "jealous" of that back yard...OMG! this family is soooo lucky. Where I live they would have tried to build another "10" houses on that space...

Really liked the agility demo dog...was like a giant version of my dog...same exact coloring...completely different breeds.

I was glad to see the husband loosen up and really give Dekota a second chance. I could really see how frustrated he was and concerned (right fully so) for his children's safety. So to see him in the episode wrap up playing with Dekoat and seeming to enjoy her now, very cool.
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Ya. I liked how it focused allittle on the humans but alot more on the dog! And it still adressed every issue :) I thought it was really cool to add in the part where she brought in the k9 trainers to talk bout safety with the kids. I loved the "now that's what I call awesome!" ending lol!!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Bahahahaha at Mike and Earl! :)
--dontpugme
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

when she first introduced them I was thinking ummm ...so much for this being a family show :shock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fur_and_Loathing

ok, joking aside, that was a pretty good idea. you could see the light bulbs coming on with that family.
just sayin

Post by just sayin »

Wow, just watched this episode. Good thing she went to NY. NO WAY she could interact with neighbors that way in Atlanta! People there would call it "Just rude." The lady can be in her yard if she chooses! UNBELIEVABLE
twobigdogs

Post by twobigdogs »

My husband and I just finished watching this episode and I think it was very eye opening for my husband. He was more like the husband on the episode than he wanted to admit. Let me give you a little background....

We adopted two dogs that had been abandoned at my work (close to many horse farms). However, we were not aware of how big they were going to become. We now have two small ponies - German Short Haired pointer/Great Dane mix. We were completely unaware of what we were getting into, but I fell in love and could not imagine giving them up by the time we realized what they were. There was some obvious abuse before we took them in and we have had to learn the hard way what upsets them (i.e. excessive salivating, extreme hair loss, etc).

What I am most interested in is the harness leash for training. We have tried the choke collars for almost two years and Max still pulls. My husband almost lifts him off of his front legs to try and stop him. It just makes me cringe. Ruby on the other hand is an EXCELLENT walker ...... until you see another dog. She is 100 pounds of unwanted protection.

I would love to try the harnesses that she uses but I would like to know what I am looking for exactly. Where can I purchase the harnesses and double hook leashes? Can someone tell me if these would possibly be useless on large dogs and would Ruby be harder to control? (I am also going to try the 'find it game' as she is very food motivated.)
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

A different harness won't stop the pulling completely. It's better to train to walk on a loose leash. Here's a link you should read: http://www.positively.com/forum/viewtop ... f=20&t=858

Not sure about the double leash.

Regarding Ruby... If you haven't already, you should post in the Dog Training Advice section of the forum. You will get more help and support there! :)
--dontpugme