problems biting legs when outside

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rkonsugar

problems biting legs when outside

Post by rkonsugar »

Looking for some advise for our 8 month old lab beagle mix which we got from a friend who had" accidental" puppies. We got our little Reese at 7 weeks which I now understand was too early. Our main problem is that Reese bites our pant legs when out on walks. I have read several posts and have tried yelping which doesn't work. I stop and ignore her when she has a hold on my pants which works but as soon as I start walking she is right back at it. Also have tried bringing out a toy but she's more interested in my leg :? I have also tried redirecting her, telling her to sit which she does then again goes for my leg. She also does this to my husband so its not something that i am just doing wrong. I know she just wants to play but it is so annoying :roll: She gets at least two half hour walks a day and we try to let her off leash at a neighbors once a week. Reese is very mouthy and also bites our hands inside as well and we have been trying to leave for a few seconds then come back. Any advice is greatly appreciated to help us enjoy our pup even more!
emmabeth

Re: problems biting legs when outside

Post by emmabeth »

You have to be absolutely, utterly, boringly consistant, at all times. She won;t get it the first time, or the second time, or the 7th time.. but by about the 50th time ... the message will begin to sink in.

Whatever you choose to do in each sitsuation needs to be the LEAST rewarding thing possible, so stop moving, stand still, ignore her. Wherever possible spot that shes going to do it before she starts and stuff a toy in her mouth or distract with treats rather than wait for he rto do it.

It is likely you will need to take precautions to avoid her getting to the stage where she does these things, so things like, not wearing flappy pant legs, but tucking pant legs into socks, wearing thicker pants or boots etc - if she does it as she gets tired/bored hten think abou tmaking walks shorter and 'easier' for her to concentrate.

Overall, she does it because it is fun to do - increasing her opportunity to do fun things in an appropriate way, and decreasing the opportunities for THIS behaviour to be rewarded will help, but it does take time.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I agree to try shorter more frequent walks. 3/4 /5 10-15 mt walks will manage it better for now. Also try to do little 5 mt heeling walks a few times a day. the more experiences she has w/o getting to that level will set her up for proper walking & eventually going back to longer walks 2x a day. no flappy pants, & try a different toy-- a squeak toy/ a rope/ a ball to distract. Find the toy that turns her on. Some dogs even loves old towels.
GOOD LUCK!
rkonsugar

Post by rkonsugar »

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice. Im happy to report that Reese has gotten so much better outside and I've gotten a lot more patience to totally ignore her As often as needed when biting my legs and eventually she gets distracted! Good to fell im not alone!