That's no "mongrel"! :D

Discussion of Victoria's books, It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet and Fat Dog Slim: How to Have a Healthy, Happy Pet.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mo_in_kc

That's no "mongrel"! :D

Post by mo_in_kc »

The dog on page 30 of It's Me or the Dog — under the heading "mongrels" — is actually an American Dingo (a/k/a Carolina Dog or Dixie Dingo).

It is not a breed recognized by every one the alphabet soup associations, but it is a breed of dog with very fixed characteristics. See http://www.carolinadogs.com/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QJjDitRG8

These are the "default dog" that occurs over many generations when a population of dogs aren't control-bred to produce particular characteristics. This happens on virtually every continent with some regional variations, and is called a Dingo in Australia, Jindo Dog in Korea, Pariah Dog in India, Caanan Dog in the Levant, and become a little more square-headed with the African Basenji. In Native American archaeological digs, the remains of dogs resembling American Dingos are sometimes found — which is not to say the population of American Dingos is unquestionably descended from American Indian domestics, but it's possible.

I got my Carolina Dog from the Lawrence, KS shelter. She and her two litter-mates were labeled "Shepherd mix." I had no idea. I thought she was a Shiba-something.

She's absolutely the best dog I've ever had.

Anyway, love Ms Stilwell's training philosophy, book and show. I've learned a lot, and it's made me a better pet owner.

Cheers from Kansas City!
smokeyandme

Re: That's no "mongrel"! :D

Post by smokeyandme »

I live in NC and am familiar with the Carolina Dog. Our state dog is a Plott Hound.
I think dogs who aren't purebred should be called mixed breeds. Mongrel doesn't have a good connotation. :mrgreen:
ihanna

Re: That's no "mongrel"! :D

Post by ihanna »

mo_in_kc wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:42 pm The dog on page 30 of It's Me or the Dog — under the heading "mongrels" — is actually an American Dingo (a/k/a Carolina Dog or Dixie Dingo).

It is not a breed recognized by every one the alphabet soup associations, but it is a breed of dog with very fixed characteristics.

These are the "default dog" that occurs over many generations when a population of dogs aren't control-bred to produce particular characteristics. This happens on virtually every continent with some regional variations, and is called a Dingo in Australia, Jindo Dog in Korea, Pariah Dog in India, Caanan Dog in the Levant, and become a little more square-headed with the African Basenji. This is the one that they were talking about. One of the more interesting aspects of the finding was the one mentioned here and you can also give them more information regarding the matter. He is in there too. In Native American archaeological digs, the remains of dogs resembling American Dingos are sometimes found — which is not to say the population of American Dingos is unquestionably descended from American Indian domestics, but it's possible.

I got my Carolina Dog from the Lawrence, KS shelter. She and her two litter-mates were labeled "Shepherd mix." I had no idea. I thought she was a Shiba-something.

She's absolutely the best dog I've ever had.

Anyway, love Ms Stilwell's training philosophy, book and show. I've learned a lot, and it's made me a better pet owner.

Cheers from Kansas City!
Hey, I'm just wondering. I found a dog last night, it is soaked in rain. I want to know it's breed but I don't know how. Can you tell me if possibly how can I know it's breed? It has a long nice fur, soft, long ears like the hush puppies. What do you think? Also, don't know if what will I do with this dog really :/