Broken leg........ URGENT

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

troop

Broken leg........ URGENT

Post by troop »

Hi i havent been here for awhile now so i hope you forgive me for just expecting advice.My old greyhound (15) girly broke her front leg,ulna ands radius a spiral fracture with 10 fragments :shock: . Now i told the vet due to her age i didnt wish for an amputation and if the break was complicated we should call it a day they said they would ring me during the op if it looked bad. They didnt ring me and they went ahead. The op went ok and they have wired,pinned,plated the leg up but have had to keep her in due to nerve and blood supply damage. I am pleased i have not lost her but im mad that they are doing all this as i feel awful that she may be suffering unduly and should i have just let her go peacefully? I have phoned today and she is eating and apparently comfortable so im hopeful she can make it but please can i have any advice you may have on this type of injury the recovery time,success rate, etc etc anything at all much appreciated.Sorry for my rambling. I am getting her some comfrey to help aid the healing and some arnica to help with bruising can i use this as well as the meds from vet? How do i take care of her when she is home with regars to raised bed,floor cushion AHHHHHHHH Help please xxxxx thank you
Nettle

Re: Broken leg........ URGENT

Post by Nettle »

You can use arnica and other homeopathic meds safely with any other meds except steroids, and it's not unsafe with those: it just won't work.

What's done is done and so you may as well give her the chance. As an elderly dog at least she won't miss her exercise so much. She may enjoy a massage to the uninjured rest of her, a magnetic collar may speed healing, and I am sure you have plenty of soft comfortable beds for her.

))))))))))))))HUG(((((((((((((((( for you: this is a miserable situation and your vets were very unprofessional not to include you in the decision-making. If you are in UK, Ainsworth's Pharmacy make an Injury Mix which I have used for myself and dogs, and it includes comfrey (homeopathic Symphitum). It is't expensive and this is a time for exploring all options.

Good luck: my thoughts are with you and your greyhound.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
troop

Post by troop »

Thank you nettle very much appreciated and yes am in uk so will search the mix out thank you xxx She wouldnt miss her exercise anyway she has always been a lazybones :roll: . I take it to be best to keep her on the floor or would a slightly raised bed be any good for helping her get up and down? Im so scared of her injuring herself again which obviously i cannot allow to happen. I have just washed a nice warm jumper for her and will be making a dog coat out of it to keep her cosy with her being unable to move about much. Fingers crossed all will be well.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Let her decide if she wants a raised or floor-level bed. I expect either will do. :)

Massage diagonally opposite hindleg (soft tissue) as that will be taking most of the weight off the injured foreleg.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS