Shiba Inu

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Vee&Ria

Shiba Inu

Post by Vee&Ria »

Hey, Just thought ii should post a new topic because i noticed there wasn't one specifically for Shiba's. I just recently brought home a 12 week old female. Any tips or advice is welcome.
Lexi
Lexi
nm.JPG (108 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
Vee & Ria
maxandmin

Re: Shiba Inu

Post by maxandmin »

No tips or advice but that is a precious picture.
Rizeabov7

Post by Rizeabov7 »

Adorable new pup! We have a 2 yr old Shiba so here are a few tips- 1- get yours socialized with other dogs early on, and be consistent about it. Shibas are known for being antisocial/snarky with other dogs/animals, but we've found that getting ours into a doggy day care early on, as well as taking him to the dog parks in the area, has allowed him to be relatively comfortable around other dogs. He still gets a little attitude with strange dogs that approach him too quickly or get in his face when he's not in the mood, but otherwise he does pretty well. 2- be careful with what you leave around the house that she can get ahold of, esp during the teething months. this is obviously true for all dogs, but Shibas seem to be extra mischievous. That cell phone that you think is out of reach on your desk may need to be put on the top of the bookshelf when you step out for 30 seconds to run to your car lol. trust me, i learned the hard way. twice. :) 3- do your homework on training methods. there are a ton of great websites with tips on the best way to instruct your pup to be a well behaved (relatively) adult Shiba. Ours mainly responds to positive reinforcement, aka t-r-e-a-t-s. Praise and playtime works as well. 4. Never let her off leash in an unenclosed area. Shiba's strong prey drive- and just their general "you can't catch me!" attitude will have you running a marathon around the neighborhood if she gets loose.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I've never had a Shiba Inu myself, though I've always thought them to be beautiful dogs, and yours truly is! Thanks for sharing the pic! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11