Dog pooping during sleep

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jenshigles

Dog pooping during sleep

Post by Jenshigles »

I know this is a little odd. Our dog occasionally poops a little bit in his sleep. He's done this during the day once and now during night time twice. I know it happens when he's asleep because he did this while sleeping in our bed both times.

Last night we were up reading and he was sleeping... next thing I know he was really upset and looked and he had gone a little nugget.

Another time he did this during the day and he was crashed sleeping next to me. He didn't wake up at all, just went a little. I realized it because of the smell and checking under his tail (jokingly at first... then realized!).

Should I talk with the vet about this?

Otherwise he seems to be in good health and has healthy bowel movements (frequency and consistency).

Thanks!!
Nettle

Re: Dog pooping during sleep

Post by Nettle »

How old is he? What breed/s is he?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Jenshigles

Post by Jenshigles »

1 year. Schnauzer/Yorkie Mix. Neutered male.

I read one article that suggested that the dog might be passing gas. That would certainly explain why it happens in his sleep... his bum is relaxed and everything, and it's a little nugget. He always goes out before bedtime.

I mostly worry because he gets really upset. We have never gotten upset with him for going to the bathroom indoors; I think he's just upset for going in his bed! He will lick it and try to hide it in his mouth. He NEVER eats his poop. Only on these instances when he's gone a bit in the bed. :(

Thanks for your thoughts Nettle and others.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm surprised to hear of it in such a young dog - but it is common in very old dogs just as it is in very old people. It is likely to be some kind of sphincter incompetence, of which there are several causes. So yes, you DO need a vet to check him out thoroughly, but truly you need a damned good vet who is really motivated to get to the - ahem - "bottom" :oops: (sorry) of the problem.

Before you do, start taking him for a short walk last thing - it may just be that he is not emptying himself properly because he is anxious to get back indoors. It's amazing what can happen on a 20-minute walk. Do you go out with him last thing or do you put him out on his own?

Jenshigles

Post by Jenshigles »

We always go out with him because we are still struggling to get him to come back in without DIGGING EVERYWHERE before coming in a muddy mess.

He usually has his BM right after breakfast and on the afternoon walk. Maybe a 20 minute before bedtime walk is in order. The first time it happened he had fallen asleep right after eating dinner (this time was a late dinner), going out for pee, then went straight to bed... so we blamed the full belly, and such.

Last night when it happened seemed odd. And I thought him going during a day time nap was odd too.

It has happened VERY infrequently, only three times over the last several months... first time was in early December. But I really don't want this to develop into something more significant as he ages!

I'm going to start an evening brisk walk and see what that does for him.

We'll get to the bottom of this. :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Is he docked? And if yes, is he docked very short?

Jenshigles

Post by Jenshigles »

*UNFORUNATELY* he is docked. I really don't like it. He has 3 vertebraes after the base... It certainly is not as short as other schnauzers I have seen.

Could this be why?
Jenshigles

Post by Jenshigles »

I have read some interesting articles about cases of under developed pelvic muscles after tail docking. They state that the reports are not conclusive, but that could be an additional reason. If his sphincter is not as developed as it should be then it is likely that when sleeping (and more relaxed) he could have accidents.

Two concerns:
1. The stress it causes him when accidents happen (he seems genuinely confused and upset). Again, we NEVER get upset with him. Just clean it up and love him and tell him it's ok.
2. Could this get worse as he ages?

Recommendations of walking him at night will of course help. A vet visit seems to be in order to just get other things checked out. I have a plan to have the check up at no charge.... MIGHT AS WELL!!!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Well done :D for the way you are tackling this. And you picked up straight away where I was with the tail docking. Long docking (last third of tail) doesn't cause sphincter issues but short docking can. All this was done long before you got your dog, but might be useful information for others.

There are things that can be done if this is the case, and front of my mind is acupuncture to strengthen the sphincter muscles. See if you have access to a veterinary who also does acupuncture.

Sometimes there is a little spasm in the bowel that fires out the *object* and that would be a temporary matter.

What are you feeding him, and when?

Make sure he has his prostate checked. Unlike with humans, the canine prostate causes more bowels than bladder issues if it is swollen.

steph3bunny

Post by steph3bunny »

My dog does the same but he only does it when I decided to shower during the nights and it's only when I shower during the nights nd I don't understand why he does it he only 3 years old