German Shepherds!

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rennogsd1996

Re: German Shepherds!

Post by rennogsd1996 »

my 4 yr old GSD Hondo (after John Wayne movie)

Hondo at 4 weeks first day I saw him
hondo 4 weeks old.jpg
hondo 4 weeks old.jpg (114.32 KiB) Viewed 13035 times
hondo with his baby :)
hondo and hish baby.jpg
hondo and hish baby.jpg (25.72 KiB) Viewed 13035 times
Hondo again
hondolaptop.jpg
hondolaptop.jpg (33.61 KiB) Viewed 13035 times
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

OMG, Saphie and Hondo look like two of the many German Shepherds I've owned in the past! Needless to say, I had some tears in eyes when I saw those pictures, because I miss them (Ginger and Sam were their names) so much! The funny thing is that my brother wanted to name them Ginger and Fred! :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
rennogsd1996

Post by rennogsd1996 »

I love that name..Ginger. My friend's own Hondo's sister from the same litter...they could pass as twins...I'll post pics if I get any soon.

did you post any of Ginger and Sam?
Gwenhwyfair

Post by Gwenhwyfair »

Great thread. Gotta love those GSDs!

Here's a pic of my baby, he's a rescue, those ears are down and because of that no one wanted him.

Their loss, my gain!!

He loves the lake, swimming and boating with his 'people'. :D
SailorSmitty1.jpg
SailorSmitty1.jpg (129.25 KiB) Viewed 13021 times
SailorSmitty2.jpg
SailorSmitty2.jpg (158.87 KiB) Viewed 13021 times
Liz & Koa

Post by Liz & Koa »

He's a beauty!!!
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

What a precious face, give that child a BIG HUG :lol:
rennogsd1996

Post by rennogsd1996 »

Gwenhwyfair wrote:Great thread. Gotta love those GSDs!

Here's a pic of my baby, he's a rescue, those ears are down and because of that no one wanted him.

Their loss, my gain!!

He loves the lake, swimming and boating with his 'people'. :D
SailorSmitty1.jpg
SailorSmitty2.jpg
Assuming his name is smitty? He's gorgeous and their loss is your gain..lovely dog. People are so odd sometimes. he likes the water yes?
Gwenhwyfair

Post by Gwenhwyfair »

Thank you all for you compliments on my boy. I don't like brag about much in my life, but he is my pride and joy.

Also, I've really enjoyed the other pics on this thread because, well, I'll just admit here and now I'm a GSD nut. I love 'em. :D

rennogsd1996 wrote:
Assuming his name is smitty? He's gorgeous and their loss is your gain..lovely dog. People are so odd sometimes. he likes the water yes?
Hi Renno,

Yes, that is his name. Sometimes for fun I tell people his full name is 'Smitty Von Barkenwoof'. Kids especially get a kick a out of that.

He does like the water and is good strong swimmer. When I and my fiance' are swimming he'll sit in the water, partially submerged and watch us. If we float too far out for his liking he swims out and 'herds' us back to safety. 8)

The GSD rescue had a hard time placing him because of his ears. People like those ears UP and I understand that to a point. His personality won me over though...and the fact that when I was a child my great Aunt had a little stuffed Steiff brand dog (the same co. which makes the cute teddy bears). She had named her little stuffed toy dog Smitty. It was really beautiful. I loved playing with that little toy dog.

When the foster mom brought Smitty out to meet me the first time he laid his head in my lap and she said meet "Smitty". That was it, kismet, karma.....he was going to be mine. :D
jibber

Post by jibber »

Hi i am new to this site and very interested in anyones advice regarding my german shepherd puppy. He is a male and is almost 17 weeks old. He likes to grab onto our clothes or our arms or legs etc at any given opportunity, his teeth are very sharp and hurts us we have 3 young children and are very keen to learn how to stop him doing this. We attend a training school and they have said he is very bright but im unable to fine a method that works . We have put him in the crate held him by his scruff nothing works please can anyone help us he is also very dominant with our 14 year old mongrel.
jennyf

Post by jennyf »

I gave a home to a beautiful white GSD called 'Ayla' some years ago. She was ten months old and her owner had to move and couldn't keep her - she'd been staying with the owner's 'ex' who had treated her quite badly. Her owner was keen to find her a home with a dog person rather than someone who just wanted a dog, if you know what I mean. She wasn't the easiest dog to get settled into the pack of resident Labradors that I also had then. She was a real looker and drew attention wherever we went.

Anyway, she became the most lovely, loyal and loving dog and she was with me for 12 years before being sent to Rainbow Bridge some 3 years ago.

I would have had another GSD, but for the fact that we have a small house and little dogs are much easier to handle (getting in the car, to the vets etc), especially when you are 61 years young. So now I have to terriers that needed a home, but I will never forget my Ayla.
Olivers mama

Post by Olivers mama »

I've never had a GSD - 2 Irish Setters, a Dobie, & a Rottie, but never a Shepherd. We recently adopted a 18-mo-old female GSD from a Shepherd Rescue. She's a tall dog, but at 71 lbs, was seriously underweight. My vet did a thorough check-up & she was very healthy, just skinny. We've had her 2 1/2 months now: her ribs don't show any more & neither do her vertebrae along her back. She's still growing & her color is changing a bit - more black is coming onto her face.

Too bad the Rescue people told fibs about her. They said she was good on a leash...Nope! Said she was good with cats...Nope! And this is a big one, for we have 4 housecats aged 4-14. The old man, Oliver, was born crippled so he can't run or jump. She was never taught any manners. (We later found out they'd been giving her Benadryl...no wonder she was so "good" - she was sleepy all the time! gggrrrrrr)

She spent 3 weeks at a Board & Train-for basic obedience & mainly, cats. She was worse when she came back-started peeing in the house & eating her poop. Wonderful. :evil: Our vet suggested a different trainer-we tried her, as well. When we went to visit her at this newest Board & Train, the trainer had put on a prong collar. The trainer is lucky I didn't belt her one; instead, we just took home with us. That was last night. I have since contacted a Victoria-trained trainer about private lessons in the home, so we'll see how that turns out. There will be no more Board & Train for this gal! She's a bit barrier-aggressive & I think that's her biggest problem with the cats. It's when she's in her crate at night (have to do that to protect the cats for now). But when I have a firm grip on her REGULAR collar & take her to greet Oliver, she's actually very good - even with Oliver hissing at her. We're teaching her the "Leave it" command & applying that to the cat.

We're lucky in that she's got the BEST personality - which is why we've been so willing to spend the big bucks for training. But I won't allow her to be treated poorly or neglected, which is what happened at both facilities, IMO. (I'm not done with either of them - & I'm starting with the BBB)

We're also lucky that we can bring her to work with us (we work at the same place). We can "work" her at breaks & lunch. After work, she's got time to romp in the huge warehouse here - great way to burn energy.

We named her "Ziva", from the TV show, 'NCIS'. It's taking a lot of work, but I look forward to the day of a better-mannerd dog who accepts the cats!

Becky

PS - don't know how to upload a picture here yet. The only ones we have anyway, are of when she was so skinny...
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Becky I'm so sorry to hear about the Board and Train facilities! It's unfortunate for you and your lovely dog that you had to learn the hard way that Board and Train facilities are not the best option as they put dogs through boot camp with all sorts of aversives and shut them down enough to make them look obedient. :evil:

Good luck with the new trainer. Already a step in the right direction.
Olivers mama

Post by Olivers mama »

Thanks, Noobs. The first facility was bad enough (I'm guessing she spent about 20-22 hours a day in a kennel). But the 2nd one - just 1 look at that prong collar set me off! EsPECially because she said she didn't use even choke collars.

That's why I'm not done with these people yet! :x :x :x
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Olivers mama wrote: That's why I'm not done with these people yet! :x :x :x
Yeah, get 'em! :evil:
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

jibber wrote:Hi i am new to this site and very interested in anyones advice regarding my german shepherd puppy. He is a male and is almost 17 weeks old. He likes to grab onto our clothes or our arms or legs etc at any given opportunity, his teeth are very sharp and hurts us we have 3 young children and are very keen to learn how to stop him doing this. We attend a training school and they have said he is very bright but im unable to fine a method that works . We have put him in the crate held him by his scruff nothing works please can anyone help us he is also very dominant with our 14 year old mongrel.
:shock: I'm surprised no one commented on this.