Episode 214 - Florence & Fiona - April 24

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 214 - Florence & Fiona - April 24

Post by Victoria »

JessikaXoxO wrote:I'm not one of those girls who treats their Chihuhua like a baby and all that nonsense
Cool. Glad to hear it. All I meant was that sometimes people can subconsiously let smaller dogs get away with more than bigger dogs, if for no other reason than the fact that a bigger dog jumping up or nipping or the like can be more obtrusive.
...now if only he had come with a MUTE button...
But Chihuahuas can be just as loud as a big old dog. :D
RoseTyler

Post by RoseTyler »

Victoria wrote:
ServiceDogDobie wrote:Victoria was Fiona's issues due to only lack of exercise and being crated too long during the day? My mom HATED when I used a crate for my dogs she seems to think it's inhumane, I only left my 2nd Shepherd Lexy in for a max 2 hours during the day and slept there over night, how can I get my mom to see it's not inhumane and is VERY comon to use a crate?????????
Fiona's issues were due to both a lack of exercise and being crated too long. The crate Jessica was using was also too small, even for little Fiona.

You are correct that crating is not necessarily inhumane. I use them for housetraining a puppy, and I also sometimes like to make a crate the dog's bed. A maximum of two hours per day is absolutely fine, and sleeping in there at night is ok, too. Tell your mom it is in fact pretty common and doesn't have to be used or seen as a negative thing by the dog or owner.

You know, I always tell people who frown upon the crate that we were crated when we were babies, in a way...in our cribs and playpens..AND we had our toys in there with us as..hehe...
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

mustlovdoggs wrote:After working with my dogs, they act like they have ran a race. I think dogs love to have their mind worked. Right?
They really do. Especially eager little dogs like Fiona.

Glad you liked the episode - keep watching!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

RoseTyler wrote:You know, I always tell people who frown upon the crate that we were crated when we were babies, in a way...in our cribs and playpens..AND we had our toys in there with us as..hehe...
Great point - I hadn't thought of that. Do mind if I borrow the analogy on the show? :)
RoseTyler

Post by RoseTyler »

Victoria wrote:
RoseTyler wrote:You know, I always tell people who frown upon the crate that we were crated when we were babies, in a way...in our cribs and playpens..AND we had our toys in there with us as..hehe...
Great point - I hadn't thought of that. Do mind if I borrow the analogy on the show? :)
I don't mind at all...it works most of the time! I was also afraid of the vacuum...where was MY peanutbutter kong? haha
Dogs are perfect at being dogs, people are perfect at screwing them up
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Victoria,

Thank you for taking the time to show the steps in teaching the retrieve so clearly.
I have never been able to get a reliable retrieve from any of my dogs, but I was
taught to teach it...somewhat differently. This is so simple and fun and logical.
I'm already working with one of my collies on this, and I'm delighted with her progress.

I learn something from you every week, but this one was really great!

Thank you,

Skye and the white collies
kover1

Post by kover1 »

Hello Victoria,
I loved the episode with Fiona, I felt bad for that poor little dog. My question though is about my dog if thats ok? Tucker is an 18 month old shih Tzu mix and I have had him for almost a year now, he came to me on an airplane from Nebraska to NY where I live. My question is this...Tucker is petrified of people, what do I do to help him over this problem?? I have been working on his commands and all that but I can't figure out how to get him past this fear of humans. Hes good with me and my husband but thats about it. I live with my elderly parents and my dad takes it as a personal rejection that Tucker doesn't like him. I need help!!
I have RSD..but it doesn't have me!!
ServiceDogDobie

Post by ServiceDogDobie »

One of the things my parents made me do when I had Takkera she may as well of been crated 24/7, I had to stay in my room with her all day long. And keep her leashed all the time, and as you know Victoria Dobies aren't too happy that way. Because she was my Service Dog she had to be near me, but keeping her leashed presented a challenge when it came to dinner time. I wasn't allowed to eat with my parents so I had to cook for myself, I had a double handled leash and I can't tell you how many times I burned myself trying to hold her leash and cook at the same time. Is there a leash you'd recommend that would be less of a challenge to use incase when I get my own place and come visit my parents and had to cook my own dinner I wouldn't burn myself everytime I cooked????
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

thepennywhistle wrote:Victoria,

Thank you for taking the time to show the steps in teaching the retrieve so clearly.
I have never been able to get a reliable retrieve from any of my dogs, but I was
taught to teach it...somewhat differently. This is so simple and fun and logical.
I'm already working with one of my collies on this, and I'm delighted with her progress.

I learn something from you every week, but this one was really great!

Thank you,

Skye and the white collies
You are most welcome - so glad it's working out for you. Keep up the good work!
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Thank you Victoria :D
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

kover1 wrote:Hello Victoria,
I loved the episode with Fiona, I felt bad for that poor little dog. My question though is about my dog if thats ok? Tucker is an 18 month old shih Tzu mix and I have had him for almost a year now, he came to me on an airplane from Nebraska to NY where I live. My question is this...Tucker is petrified of people, what do I do to help him over this problem?? I have been working on his commands and all that but I can't figure out how to get him past this fear of humans. Hes good with me and my husband but thats about it. I live with my elderly parents and my dad takes it as a personal rejection that Tucker doesn't like him. I need help!!
This can be a big problem that can take a lot of time and patience to resolve. It's a really complex problem with lots of moving parts. First of all, I'd recommend that you find a really good, positive reinforcement trainer to help. Absolutely avoid anyone who tries to overcome Tucker's problem by using confrontational and punitive methods, as this will make the poor guy's life miserable and not solve the problem. In super general terms, you have to change the way his brain works - teaching him slowly and consistently that people are not scary and are in fact the source of really good things. That's a very superficial overview, but it's the root. Read up on some of the articles here, as positive reinforcement will really help turn things around for you. Best of luck, and please keep us updated on how you're doing. Also post your question in the 'dog training advice' section, as there are some really great people there who can help.

Good luck!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thanks to everyone for another great chat tonight! See you next week!
Victoria
JessikaXoxO

Post by JessikaXoxO »

Yes thank you Victoria, for everything you do! Especially take the time out to chat with us! :lol:
ServiceDogDobie

Post by ServiceDogDobie »

thanks Victoria....Night :D
Talencia

Post by Talencia »

Victoria wrote:We have to figure out why he's doing it first. Is it anxiety, is he bored, or does he just love doing it? You could try setting up a video camera to watch what the dog does when you leave (i.e., does he get anxious and then start chewing, or does he sleep for a bit when you leave, wake up, get bored and then chew, or does he just start chewing right away but not look anxious?)

First of all, you need to dog-proof the room and provide as many good chew toys that you know he likes. Make sure they're highly durable so he can't swallow anything dangerous while you're not there.
Thank you for the feedback! I'll do my best to try and work it out!