Episode 214 - Florence & Fiona - April 24

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 214 - Florence & Fiona - April 24

Post by Victoria »

Talencia wrote:My question is, would the 'leave it' training help her learn self control even when we are gone?
The leave it command will not work when you're away, as you won't be there to issue the command.

We have to figure out why he's doing it first. Is it anxiety, is he bored, or does he just love doing it? You could try setting up a video camera to watch what the dog does when you leave (i.e., does he get anxious and then start chewing, or does he sleep for a bit when you leave, wake up, get bored and then chew, or does he just start chewing right away but not look anxious?)

First of all, you need to dog-proof the room and provide as many good chew toys that you know he likes. Make sure they're highly durable so he can't swallow anything dangerous while you're not there.
On the more positive side, my son and I love to watch your show together! He thinks you should come and help us, hehe. He's nine, and already adores how you handle the dogs (and people)! Thanks so much for both the programs and all the other help you provide for dog owners. It is much appreciated!
Thank you. Tell your son hi from me, and that I'd love to meet you all someday. Good luck!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

thayeso wrote:Victoria,

Florence & Fiona is one of my favorite episode. I'm hoping that this episode will appear on On Demand (Comcast) because I would like to see it again.
Thanks, Tammy. Comcast has been including several recent episodes in their On Demand section, so be sure to look for it.
ServiceDogDobie

Post by ServiceDogDobie »

I liked it, it was really good :D I really enjoy watching Victoria, I don't watch Cesar Millan anymore
JessikaXoxO

Post by JessikaXoxO »

nikkitoni wrote:
JessikaXoxO wrote:That whole crate situation literally turned my stomach! You make it look so easy on the show as far as teaching behaviors and what not, but my little guy is a terrorist, no exaggeration, he is a terrorist and I can't seem to get him under control! Is it just a Chihuahua thing?
How old is your chihuahua? I've had 3 chihuahuas and they were all very active dogs that required lots of toys, walks and stimulation.
Mr. Big just turned 2 in March, he's not so much as too active or anything, but he barks non stop at everybody and everything and pees on EVERYTHING including people...its embarrassing! I have worked with him and he's caught on to "SIT", "LAY", "PLAY DEAD", all sorts of fun stuff and he picked it all up in a matter of minutes, but the barking and the peeing is outta hand!
thayeso

Post by thayeso »

ServiceDogDobie wrote:I liked it, it was really good :D I really enjoy watching Victoria, I don't watch Cesar Millan anymore
I really, really dislike Cesar. I wish his show was off the air.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:1. Was Carly the dog in the Milkbone commercial?
Yes, Carly is the Milkbone canine assistance dog in the commercials. It was lovely to see her working - she's a clever dog.
2. Are you going to talk about positively.com or the Victoria Stilwell Foundation on your show?
I'm not sure. If there's an opportunity to talk about the new Foundation, I will certainly do it. It has just been launched, and we're really excited about being able to make a difference for canine assistance programs all over the country through it.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

thayeso wrote:Is it possible to donate money to The Victoria Stilwell Foundation?
Not yet, but soon. Information on how to donate to the Foundation will be available shortly, and that info will be posted here among other places. You can also find out when it goes live by subscribing to the newsletter here: http://bit.ly/cc5woj
RoseTyler

Post by RoseTyler »

LOl about Cesar..All the dog trainers here in Portland, Oregon I came across don't like him either. In fact, in an interview for one of the dog daycare training places I worked at the owner was going to ask people if they like him...if they said "Yes." no job. hahahaha. Have you heard of Chris Bach and the 3rd way? It is kind of the same type of training you do, but I think they had more steps...Too me..it just seemed like too MANY steps...I dunno.
Dogs are perfect at being dogs, people are perfect at screwing them up
ServiceDogDobie

Victoria was Fiona's issues due to only lack of exercise and being crated too long during the day? My mom HATED when I used a crate for my dogs she seems to think it's inhumane, I only left my 2nd Shepherd Lexy in for a max 2 hours during the day and slept there over night, how can I get my mom to see it's not inhumane and is VERY comon to use a crate?????????
C.Saling

Post by C.Saling »

I teach people to train their own service dogs as part of my job. I was so happy for the little dog when she almost completed a retrieve at the end of the show that I said "Yes! good dog!" and all of my dogs came rushing into the room hoping that we would train. It was so funny!

-Crystal
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

nikkitoni wrote:Now that Fiona is a better dog, do you think they should get another dog? I personally don't like the idea of one dog families. I think it's kinda sad for the dog. But this situation seems to be a bit unique. Have you heard from this family recently? Has Fiona learned any new tricks or behaviors?
No, I don't believe the family should get another dog until Fiona calms down more, and Florence is completely comfortable coping with Fiona. I know what you're saying about one-dog families, but I don't necessarily agree. We are a one-dog family with Sadie, and while she might benefit from a housemate, she also enjoys being the sole target of our affections. Sort of the same argument as with single-child families. Pros and cons both ways.

Fiona continues to make progress and they're all doing well.
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

Guys,
Let's keep chatter about other TV dog trainers to a minimum here - this is a discussion with Victoria about last weekend's show. Thanks, and enjoy the chat!
BoardHost
ServiceDogDobie

Rose, my mom likes Cesar alot. I don't at all, I like Victoria's methods better. If you look it up on line you'll see the real side of the dogs he's trained, Hollywood edits a lot out so you don't see what he has done to them. :x
ServiceDogDobie

Sorry bout that, I wont say anymore about that
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Do you get to choose what music goes into the show. (the dramatic music for when a dog is about to agress or the happy-go-lucky music when a dog is being mischievous)
--dontpugme