pug puppy eating poop! help!!!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rock'smom

pug puppy eating poop! help!!!

Post by rock'smom »

hello from greece!

i'm a proud owner of an amazing male pug puppy (6 months old)

Rock is in general a very fun, obedient, loving little pug and i'm loving every second i get to spend with him.

that being said, there is one single huge problem that i find hard to deal with! he eats his poop and has been doing so since he was 4 months old!
i've tried EVERYTHING with no success so far! given him the FORBI-KA powder, vitamins, yelled at him when caught on "action", even fed him pineapple (i read about it somewhere in the internet)!!! nothing works!!! i'm desperate!!! i had to take him to the vet 3 times so far because he vomited after eating his feaces... i'm really worried about my pug puppy!!! i'm terrified that he'll get seriously sick someday and i won't be able to help him!

please please please help me!!!

thank you in advance
Rock's mom, Vassia
Sweetie0202

Re: pug puppy eating poop! help!!!

Post by Sweetie0202 »

rock'smom wrote:hello from greece!

i'm a proud owner of an amazing male pug puppy (6 months old)

Rock is in general a very fun, obedient, loving little pug and i'm loving every second i get to spend with him.

that being said, there is one single huge problem that i find hard to deal with! he eats his poop and has been doing so since he was 4 months old!
i've tried EVERYTHING with no success so far! given him the FORBI-KA powder, vitamins, yelled at him when caught on "action", even fed him pineapple (i read about it somewhere in the internet)!!! nothing works!!! i'm desperate!!! i had to take him to the vet 3 times so far because he vomited after eating his feaces... i'm really worried about my pug puppy!!! i'm terrified that he'll get seriously sick someday and i won't be able to help him!

please please please help me!!!

thank you in advance
Rock's mom, Vassia
You say he's being doing this since he was 4 months old? what kind of food was he on before? Like has his food changed? there maybe something missing in his food and this is why he's eating his poop. The best thing that you can do is pick up right after him so he doesn't get a chance to eat his poop.

Good Luck!

I hope this was of some help.
Image Image
rock'smom

Post by rock'smom »

there was nothing changed in his diet.
he eats dry food from the moment i got him, the vet suggested the brand (royal canin) and told me it's rich in vitamins and proteins etc. so he didn't need any extra vitamin supplements.

i gave him some vitamin supplements for a while just to be sure that it wasn't the cause of the problem and it still didn't change a thing.

i pick up after him all the time so that he doesn't see it but when i'm not home he goes straight for the poop!

i can't be on 24/7 watch to pick after him all the time and i'm a working person so the puppy has to spend some time alone at home. and that's when i'm most worried!

what do i do then?
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

rock'smom wrote:there was nothing changed in his diet.
he eats dry food from the moment i got him, the vet suggested the brand (royal canin) and told me it's rich in vitamins and proteins etc. so he didn't need any extra vitamin supplements.

i gave him some vitamin supplements for a while just to be sure that it wasn't the cause of the problem and it still didn't change a thing.

i pick up after him all the time so that he doesn't see it but when i'm not home he goes straight for the poop!

i can't be on 24/7 watch to pick after him all the time and i'm a working person so the puppy has to spend some time alone at home. and that's when i'm most worried!

what do i do then?

My chi use to eat his poop, but only when i would leave him home and not take him out as it was like - 30 out when winter was here. But once it started getting warmer out i would take him for his little walks that seem to help, but then once i stopped he start back up eating his poop; so i would walk him around the building, and when need to go out without him i would crate him. I have also changed his food to fresh pet select which he loves and is really good for him he stopped eating his poop. So by walking him and tiring him out and changing his food to a healtheir food, and also crating him all had worked great for my little guy. He was the first dog i have ever had this problem with, but that's what i have done.

I hope this is of some help, and good luck on finding what may work for you, and your little doggie.
Image Image
rock'smom

Post by rock'smom »

thank u for the advice i will try it all and get back to you! :-)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Two really simple things to try..

1/ Feed food that contains no grain at all.

2/Reduce or increase feeding. If you are underfeeding (unlikely) the dog could still be hungry. If youa re OVER feeding though (much more likely), then what is being produced at the other end could well still contain a lot of tasty stuff... Overfeeding often sends food through the system too fast leaving the dog hungrier, and the poo tastier!

Try the second option first - if you are feeding to the guidelines on teh packet it is perfectly possible that this is too much. Guidelines on the pack tend to overexaggerate by as much as 25% in some cases, which is done on purpose by the manufacturer to take into account the wide variation in calorific needs between dogs (and so you dont sue them for your dog starving on the recommended amount!).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jgckg

Post by jgckg »

Since you have been to a Vet to rule out any medical issues, you may want to try a Certified Animal Behaviorist. In the meantime, don't allow him to have access to eating it. Walk him/her on a six foot leash, when he eliminates pick it up immediately. Eating poop can make him very ill or even worse. Discontinue any and all "after the fact punishment". You may also find crate training helpful or a playpen. If you use a playpen make is small enough to discourage elimination, but big enough to roll around and play in.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

rock'smom wrote: that being said, there is one single huge problem that i find hard to deal with! he eats his poop and has been doing so since he was 4 months old!
Yelling at him just puts a higher price on his poo, many dogs like the taste of pineapple which encourages them to eat it. How long did you use FORBI-KA for? The stuff I used had to be used for a minimum of 6 weeks, then dogs often needed another 6 weeks before they stopped eating their poo, it didn't work for my Greyhound, he will still eat it. I gave up in the end, found it far too stressful for me and him, I now have 3 poo eaters, the other 2 have learnt from my Greyhound.

Picking up immediately didn't work either, he just tried to get is as it was coming out.

Most pups will stop eating it themselves as they mature.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]