Episode 205 - Killer Intincts - Jan 30

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 205 - Killer Intincts - Jan 30

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria will chat live in this thread on Sunday, Jan 31 at 9pm EST about last night's episode of It's Me or the Dog, "Killer Instincts."

The Quinn family has two dogs - Addie is under control, but Jack Russell Terrier Buddy is a disaster. Having already killed the family gerbil, Buddy is the ultimate door-dasher, unmanageable on walks, and, most worryingly, he has already drawn blood by biting the youngest member of the family. Husband Sean still thinks the behavior is kind of cute, but Linda Kay has had enough and has called Victoria to help make the madness stop.

Victoria's work is cut out for her as she not only has to train a dog with a taste for blood, but also has to convince the man of the house that this is a problem worth solving.
BoardHost
Yvonne

Re: Episode 205 - Killer Intincts - Jan 30

Post by Yvonne »

Wow, I have to say this Jack Russel "Buddy" was a real challenge!!!! I have a 7 month old Westie, so some things were similar, but Buddy made our puppy look great. Mostly we have barking at times (almost the same as Buddy, very high pitch-aahhh) and house breaking. I liked the tunnels, we have 4 aces and I might try this. I want to get her started in obedience and later agility classes. She runs 2-3.5 miles with me and does great! She could run farther, but I am just getting back into it! This helps her a lot. I watch Victoria all the time, re-runs and all. It is very helpful to me, since this is the first terrier we have ever had! I love her!
Thanks for all your help, and that was totally amazing what you did with Buddy!!!
Yvonne

Post by Yvonne »

One more thing, I am glad I don't own a gerbil. That was so sad, and what a memory for that girl.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Hi Victoria: Great work with the JRT! I don't recall you asking them how much exercise Buddy got. He seemed bored & under exercised. The tunnel activities were perfect but since JRTs are so high energy I think the owners should've been made aware of other outlets for Buddy such as fly ball, agility, and perhaps cool tricks (like dancing)
It would really be great if you could dedicate a whole entire show(or summer series better yet) strictly about puppy training to help owners prevent many of the problems dogs develop. Also an entire show of different games (Like the fly ball, rally, dock diving. etc) & other events that owners can enroll their dog in would be valuable to people who don't seem to be aware that these activities exist.

Keep up the good work!
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Buddy Is one cute dog!!! :) When they were watching tv did he bark at anything else besides animals? If not what made him bark at only animals?
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

My dog used to bark at dog's on TV...especialy at It's Me or the Dog because there are a lot of episodes with barking dogs. The removal works for him and he rarely barks now. For me, the only problem with time-outs are that i miss part of an episode. haha :lol:
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

victoria, on walks when using the quick greeting technique,is that the best way to socialize aggrressive dogs? and i noticed you brought a calmer dog to help with the greeting.what do you recomendif you dont have a calmer dog to help out?
thevelvetvampire

Post by thevelvetvampire »

Hello Victoria.
Another great episode of the show.Thats the first time ive seen a dog like buddy go off and start barking at the television like that.Im glad my baby doxie doesnt bark while were watching the show.
I love how you used the tunnels but i live in an apartment complex so doing that outside here isnt an option for us.Is there anything we can do indoors with him thats simular to this?
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

are you ever going to do a show with your bangs up!?
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Hi everyone!

I'll be here for the next hour answering questions about last night's episode!

Victoria
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

maximoo wrote:Hi Victoria: Great work with the JRT! I don't recall you asking them how much exercise Buddy got. He seemed bored & under exercised. The tunnel activities were perfect but since JRTs are so high energy I think the owners should've been made aware of other outlets for Buddy such as fly ball, agility, and perhaps cool tricks (like dancing)
It would really be great if you could dedicate a whole entire show(or summer series better yet) strictly about puppy training to help owners prevent many of the problems dogs develop. Also an entire show of different games (Like the fly ball, rally, dock diving. etc) & other events that owners can enroll their dog in would be valuable to people who don't seem to be aware that these activities exist.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks, maximoo!

We've done some shows that have focused on Rally, Obedience, and several other field sports, but I agree it would be fun to do some more. We've done a few shows on puppies, but that's certainly something I'd like to focus on more in the future - you're right that so many behaviors could be avoided if people just approached the training the right way from he beginning.

As for Buddy, he actually was quite well exercised. 3 good walks per day.
EADGBE

Post by EADGBE »

Hi Victoria.

Good show last night.

Do dogs ever outgrow their inclination to bark at a TV? Is it something that only young dogs do?
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

sj96skittles wrote:Buddy Is one cute dog!!! :) When they were watching tv did he bark at anything else besides animals? If not what made him bark at only animals?
Buddy wasn't that confident with other dogs, so I think when he saw them on TV, he viewed them as being in his territory, which sort of freaked him out. It was pretty much only dogs that he reacted to on TV.
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Victoria, Did you do any work with the other dog that they had? If so what?
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

doggy style wrote:victoria, on walks when using the quick greeting technique,is that the best way to socialize aggrressive dogs? and i noticed you brought a calmer dog to help with the greeting.what do you recomendif you dont have a calmer dog to help out?
No, you don't do the quick greeting technique for more aggressive dogs. It takes a long time for them to even get to the point where they can successfully greet another dog at all. Buddy was just unconfident, and once he gained confidence in greeting he was fine. If he'd been more severe, I'd have had to do many other things to desensitize him before moving on to the greeting stage.

If you can't find a calm dog to help with the training, it will certainly be tougher. Try to look for calm, well-adjusted dogs and approach the owner (without your dog) about doing you the favor of helping you with your dog.