Episode 203 - Great Dane Devotion - Jan 16

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 203 - Great Dane Devotion - Jan 16

Post by Victoria »

Thepupstopshere wrote:
3. Do you have nerves of steel? How are you able stay composed when a great dane is barking, literally, in your face?
I think it's important to be confident around an anxious dog.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

debitot wrote:Hello! Victoria,
I need help potty training a puppy with puppy pads. He wants to chew them up, after he wee wees on it. What shall I do?
Debbie
Do you have to use puppy pads? The easy answer is you train him to go potty outside.

If for some reason you have to use the pads, only use them when you're sure you'll be there to pick them up immediately after he's peed on them. He'll learn.
kover1

Post by kover1 »

Hello Victoria,
I watch you every week and seriously try to use what I learn on your show. I have two 1 yr old shihpoos (brother & sister) they are relatively well behaved but very stubborn. They have just recently started barking rather aggressively whenever someone comes over and in the house including my husband. I have tried the "friend" command with treats every time they start barking but it doesn't really seem to be working...what else can I do?? They are 8 lbs & 15 lbs but I still do not want them nipping at anyone.
Also, Tucker the boy and the larger one has started to be a bit more aggressive with the little one lately and I am not sure why any suggestions??
Lisa Kover
I have RSD..but it doesn't have me!!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

kimb123 wrote:Hi, Victoria! I loved this episode!

What kind of treats do you use for the Great Danes? Our Great Dane pulls and lunges on the leash also. (We tried the gentle leader, but it didn't help at all). The trainer we hired said we had to use a prong collar.
My parents are against that so Oliver never gets walked anymore because they say it's too dangerous. I feel badly for him.
Anyway, thank you for your show. I really learn a lot from it.
Thank you so much! Kimmy
Thanks, Kimmy!

Generally I use cooked chicken as a high-value treat in situations like this. I suggest you find another trainer who can teach your dog to walk well on the leash without a prong collar. It is possible. Good luck!
debitot

Post by debitot »

This is the puppy from last week that bites really hard. He only weighs three pounds. I cannot get a collar on him yet. I have a big pond out back I cannot let him loose. Maybe the Grass thing like a litter box?
Debbie
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

victoria, What would the noise desensitization then be used for?
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

mustlovdoggs wrote:Victoria,Are Great Danes normally so out of control? My other Cocker that died in 2002, went every where with me, even to work and never acted like that.I think it made him a smarter dog. Thank Jan and The cockers
No, all Great Danes aren't necessarily as out-of-control as those in last night's episode. They're just large dogs, so what may be a common, relatively insignificant behavior in smaller breeds is magnified in larger dogs like Great Danes. The dogs in last night's episode were just lacking in leadership and positive direction.
Thepupstopshere

Post by Thepupstopshere »

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ask an irrelevant ques. re Why Ashley and Josh took in Charlotte. I was just curious about the thinking behind the decision.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

kover1 wrote:Hello Victoria,
I watch you every week and seriously try to use what I learn on your show. I have two 1 yr old shihpoos (brother & sister) they are relatively well behaved but very stubborn. They have just recently started barking rather aggressively whenever someone comes over and in the house including my husband. I have tried the "friend" command with treats every time they start barking but it doesn't really seem to be working...what else can I do?? They are 8 lbs & 15 lbs but I still do not want them nipping at anyone.
Also, Tucker the boy and the larger one has started to be a bit more aggressive with the little one lately and I am not sure why any suggestions??
Lisa Kover
Start by training them individually - one by one. In cases like this, sometimes one dog can set the other dog up for a response. So train them on their own to see guests coming in as a positive rather than a negative thing.

Also, it's very important to focus on trying to stop the behavior before it really starts. If you look closely, you'll be able to tell when one of the dogs is gearing up for a response.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

doggy style wrote:victoria, What would the noise desensitization then be used for?
Noise desensitization is used when a dog's negative response is triggered by a specific noise stimulus. For example, if a dog goes crazy when fireworks are going off, or around a crying baby, or with traffic noise.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I loved how you told Ashley and Josh about the dogs' "separation anxiety." You're a true pro....i would have started smirking the moment they stepped out of the car! My whole family loved that part.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

debitot wrote:This is the puppy from last week that bites really hard. He only weighs three pounds. I cannot get a collar on him yet. I have a big pond out back I cannot let him loose. Maybe the Grass thing like a litter box?
Debbie
Debbie,
Have you hired a positive reinforcement trainer yet? Sounds like there are multiple issues which, if not addressed appropriately and in the right order, will be very tough to solve.
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Hello again, I've contacted ABC to go to school and that is thanks to you. Thanks for your answers tonight.You are GREAT, Jan
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

so when my dog hides in the bathtub every fourth of july or new years i should be using your cd to tackle this problem?
kover1

Post by kover1 »

Thank you, I will try that. Tinker the little girl, seems to learn alot easier and faster and Tucker is just a bit slower. I did all the commands like sit, wait, come and then shake, laydown, sit up ..they have all those down pat so I know they can learn and Tucker even learned how to box on command which was really cute but he only does it with me and my husband. They are very scared of other people and will actually bark at them while backing up to get away from them. I really think it has to to do with the airplane ride they took to get here.
Thanks again for the advice,
Lisa
I have RSD..but it doesn't have me!!