What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

Poor dog :( Are there any organisations you could report your concerns to that might check on her welfare and give the owners some 'advice'?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

nope =( i wish though. she was so sweet.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It could be that she's so old it would be an unacceptable risk for her to have anaesthetic/surgery. Mammary lumps are unsightly but if benign are often better left in situ.

She might be a puppy farm rescue and someone else is responsible for her having been bred several times.

Some old dogs do get very thin. Cancer cases can get very thin. We can't cure cancer, only delay its effects.

Dirty, and wandering in road, are each unacceptable to me, but so many people keep their dogs that way, and it doesn't really bother the dog.

Sad for you/us, but there are far worse situations as far as the dog is concerned.

Hug your Bax and be proud that you know better.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I'm back :wink: , me, mom, Sampson and Lara all enjoyed our 2 week holiday to Alaska I loved seeing all my family again and being welcomed back to the tribe :D , Sampson loved all the hugs and attention from family while Lara loved meeting unusual wildlife we saw a few elks and both barked at the bears that we saw in the back yard :roll: :lol: , then every night you hear the wolves howling and Sampson just had to join in , I really have missed the fresh air and free spirit creeping of Alaska and love come home :D , both loved swimming in the streams near our lodge.

Both were surprisingly good on the planes but I think that's because I attached a blanket to there crates\ carrier so that they would feel more secure.

Sampson gave sledging a go Lara not so keen , he started well but then said nah not for me and just lied down I was in stitches of laughter :lol: .

Overall we all loved our hols and were soooooo sad to be leaving we arrived back on Wednesday , then yesterday I went to pick up my new car I use to have a range rover Evoque but I felt I needed a bigger car with having tow dogs as I was surprised at how little space I had left after getting both Lara and Sampson in the back and then trying to fit in 4 suitcases , 2 large mine and mom's and then 2 small ( dogs had one each). So instead we went in my mom's car to the airport she has a ford grand c max , so I sold my range rover before we left and ordered my new car as the amount I got for my range rover I was able to get a new car and it was ready to pick up when I got home it's a Skoda kodiaq much larger in the boot ( mines a 5 seat version) so far really comfort and oddly much quieter compared to the range rover yet it's also cheaper than the range rover both in buying price and running costs. Dogs seem to love it more too as it's much roomer and firmer so doesn't sway when going round corners\bends.

So everything is good :D
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Shalista wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:47 am went on a lovely 4 mile hike with bax that was somewhat ruined by the end.

we're driving home and i almost hit a dog. its like a lab/beagle mixish and clearly ANCIENT. grey muzzle, very narrow waist. she looks starved. i grab bax's leash and get out of the car and she happily comes up to say hi. her tits are hanging really low likes shes birthed a lot of puppies and they look like they have some tumors or something on them. i go to pet her nad shes FILTHY, like the top of her head is grainy with dirt. im tempted to scoop her up right then and there and take her home and give her the golden years she deserves..... but there IS a house close by so i loop the leash over her head and take her over.

turns out she has a home. and she wasnt lost. she goes outside occasionally with their dad.

now im willing to make allowances for skinny, shes clearly old and its difficult to keep weight on old dogs i get it.

but there is NO excuse for leaving your dog that filthy and with GROWTHS ON THEIR TITS.

regardless i left.... but i feel awful that i didn't go with my initial instinct and whisk her away from there. she really was the sweetest thing.
Unfortunately there are a few dogs I see who are in an awful state and would love to just give them a better home and help them but by law there only a certain amount you can do, there's a small spritz cross who I see getting hit on the head with a stick daily due to barking :twisted: , a dog who I see being walked everyday you can see it's ribs and spine and then there's the staffie who's back right leg always wobbles in and out one minute straight next facing outwards there are many times it has collapsed on him the poor thing it doesn't help he is extremely fat and can't breath due to how fat he is , I phone the RSPCA but only one dog was helped and that was the very skinny dog as the other tow there is not enough evidence to help them to get the dog away from the owner were with the skinny dog they could visibly see the damage.

I also forgot to say that since we got back both dogs have been barking everything in the dining room at 9pm so yesterday I decided to look out my window and I saw something crawling in my garden at first it looked like a rat so I nearly had a panic attack but then I went out and the next thing the dogs hear me going awwww as it was a hedgehog so I have called him bertie :D , then as I turned round I saw a bat fly over my head and I screamed and ran back inside as I hate bats :lol: :oops:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Bax found a pair of raccoons under a storm drain and now every drain must be Carefully Investigated on our walk...... three days later.....
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Very proud of my two yesterday. While out walking we encountered a couple of dogs who were giving their owners a bit of trouble. Normally I would have moved off to the side when encountering approaching dogs, but both of these owners beat me to it. :lol:

My dogs did do a bit of staring, but I was able to get them to refocus just with words, and perhaps a little tug on Sky's leash for one of them.

Sky went solo today and opted to walk by the dog park. I let her do this when there aren't any dogs in the small dog area. There was a young puppy there who's owner stepped out of the park for a moment, which left puppy in the entrance area. Puppy and Sky were being very pleasant with each other, when another owner let their dog out of the large dog area. Other dog immediately charged over to the fence where Sky was barking in a very aggressive manner, so Sky said back at ya, and of course collapsed in a heap as I was trying to get her moved away from the fence before she had time to get really upset.

Owner made comments about dog being protective of his territory, and being a total sweetheart to the dogs once they are in the dog park.

I'm sorry, but if your dog is that aggressive to another dog calmly and quietly visiting with a puppy through the fence, your dog has no business being in the dog park! (rant over) I didn't rant at owner because I was too busy trying to get Sky out of there.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I know I've gone mad, I've started seeing lurchers everywhere...

This board has become so quiet, so I thought I'd mention that I've been on this one quite a lot recently: https://dogforum.co.uk/ It's friendly and well moderated, not 100% positive, but pretty much everyone on there has seen the light :D
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

It has been very quiet.

I am wondering if others are receiving the same error I have been receiving where I hit submit and get told that I have to login to post.

3rd try this tie.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Bax had an AMAZING day today. so the whole bringing him in on saturdays has been going brilliantly so i decided to bring him in to spend the day at work with me while i worked!

he did great! there was a suprise 11week old lab puppys that he played with (and gave one warning nip over HIS treat)

and then a suprise older lab that there was MUCH uncertanty around and then they decided to play... and then ignore eachother.

but most importantly the res loved him and he never got to stressed to mooch for snuggles from all of them.

i was a little disappointed that he never really settled. i brought one of his blankets from home and he never lay on it. he did lay o nthe floor for a few seconds but always bounced up to go adventuring elsewhere.

so all in all a good day and def going to do it again!... though prolly not this week. this poor boy is WHOOOPED.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thanks for the link JudyN - is there a way round the constant insistence on registering/logging in, apart from registering and logging in of course?

Well done li'l Bax!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:40 am is there a way round the constant insistence on registering/logging in, apart from registering and logging in of course?
I don't think so, other than scrolling down the page to see the actual sections/threads below. They do have a ridiculously (IMO) deep banner, but then it is all the advertising they can fit in that pays to run the forum.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Bax had his third day at work yesterday. handled it like a champ! its just really fun seeing how much more he can grow. i originally told people that he doesn't really like to be held...... which they ignored....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :x :x :x

but hes adapted to it really well and honestly seems to not mind it/actually enjoy it now.

he has shown not even a HINT of shyness to ANY person thats come in the door. hes run right up as an official greeting dog to every single res thats wheeled in.

one of my coworkers is a die hard ceasar milan fan and he keeps TSSTing bax for things like when he goes to the door (bax door dashes) but the door dashing had disappeared and i got my vengeance.

one of the coworkers fav thigns to try to "teach" a dog is dropping a tissue on the floor and then tssting at them if they try for it. he'll taunt them with the tissue in an attempt for them to go for it so he can tssst at the them to make them back off. well the joke was on him. Bax is an ollllllldddd veteran at "its yer choice" and as soon as he cottoned to the idea that the tissue was off limits he yawned and settled into a down waiting for his treat at the end while my coworker pranced around trying to make him go for the tissue. my coworker was disappointed.

my one down side to this whole thing is i wish he'd settle. he's used to sleeping all day. even when we go to the rents house he'll settle on my bed and take a nap or two. he HAS a spot to settle, out of the way, on a bed, with his favorite blanket, just liek he lieks it. but ive yet to get him to settle there. the closest i got was he curled up with me when i sat with him but the moment i stood he hopped off. he def gets tired at the end of the day. he's slower to greet people and doesnt stay as logn for snuggles. im hopeful though, every day he gets closer nad closer to takeing a nap. yesturday he hoped up of his own accord and snuffled around the blanket at a bit but someoen came in and he had to go greet them sooooo.....
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Bax slept at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well he closed his eyes.... but he willingly hoped up on the bed and closed his eyes for a little bit!!! progress!
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Try number 7 Is anybody looking into the issue of being told one has to log in again when one hits the submit button.

I have now saved a copy of this somewhere so I don't have to keep re-typing it.

Great news Shalista! He probably just had to get comfortable with the new surroundings.

My two had a nice long walk yesterday since the temperature has dropped, at least for the weekend. Sky may have overdone it a bit because she seems a little stiff this morning. She was walking strong and leading most of the way though, so I let her have at it. She didn't slow down until we got back to our street and were headed home.