Let's talk sighthounds

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: Let's talk sighthounds

Post by Lotsaquestions »

JudyN wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:02 am Could the whippet have had a bit of Bedlington in it? It's a common cross and there's not a lot of difference between a Bedlington and a lamb... at least, physically :lol:
Could have been, but it would have been a few generations ago. He was fairly old, absolutely lovely little whippet. One of my dog trainer's took him in after one of her students couldn't look after him anymore. Looking at him he had the short whippet hair, but touching him it was SO soft.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Hi all

Ok so I have been spending a lot of time around afghan hounds and I adore them and wanted to ask does everything we have discussed here about sighthounds apply to the afghan?

I know there still sighthounds it's just I think I don't see them in the same light due to all that fur.. :lol: and they appear as if they are broader in body compared to other sighthounds , so does everything still apply though like there laid back in the house, independent, are quiet ect....
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Anyone......?

I'm trying to keep my mind off Sampson so I don't become a complete wreck with worry. Lara's just fast asleep. So I'm trying to keep my self busy and reading and talking about afghans is helping.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

IME they are charming dogs, huge grooming commitment but that won't phase you, and given the opportunity much more athletic and prey-driven than people would have you believe.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I always thought Afghan hounds are aloofness personified, and are pretty dense. :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I wouldn't say they're dense. I've seen (online) them doing obedience competitions, trick training and so on. They've just got the typical sighthound attitute of 'Actually I can't think of any good reason why I would want to do that, so I won't' - you just have to train in a way that motivates them.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes: right on the button JudyN. Like other sighthounds, they don't do things they think are pointless or unrewarding, and what rewards other breeds does not always cut the mustard with these types. Old-fashioned dominance training will see the owner reduced to the status of an earwig in their minds.

ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks, Nettle and Judy

Even though if the don't see the point to something then they won't do it, is it still possible to teach a Afghan basic obedience, and Manners like to teach your Afghan to be a well behaved member of the doggy community?

And can you train a Afghan to show? ( Not like at crufts but at local dog shows that are for charity they do in my area one that's for cancer and they hold a local dog show and I'd love to show for fun and for charity)

I think I already know the awnser to both, I think it will be yes considering all the Afghans I have met have been well behaved and I have seen afghans being shown, but thought I'd hear from the sighthound experts :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes, of course. Go to Youtube and search on 'afghan obedience' or similar.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:17 am Yes, of course. Go to Youtube and search on 'afghan obedience' or similar.
I knew I knew the awnser but sometimes you just want reassurance :wink:

Obviously I need to do more research and meet more than just the comes who live near me but I think when I'm ready for my next dog ( in about 10yrs as I can only manage tow at a time) I think my next dog will be an Afghan hound :mrgreen:

The more I spend with sighthounds in general the more I fall in love with them as a group and the more I see that in a sighthound person at heart :D

I always feel like sighthounds are almost Human , for excample the afghan owners I know all said that there Afghans were playful as pups but then as adults just lost interest bin playing with toys almost as if there say to there owners " why would I want to play with toys I'm not a baby" :lol: little things like this that make them almost Human to me like the grow up like us not stay puppies mentally like most dogs :wink:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Also, do you have to walk Afghans on a muzzle like other sighthounds? And how do you cope\mange when the see something they see as prey? I read they go deaf to commands when the see something as prey? So if they ignore you how do you cope? Does that mean everytime they see a deer there going to be lunging on the lead and having a tantrum on lead because they want to go get the deer?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

You don't have to walk sighthounds on a muzzle. Most muzzled ones you see are retired racers / coursers so they are a danger to wildlife. I think we also all know why Mr Grumpypants Jasper is muzzled. :lol:

My old Lurcher never needed a muzzle, most whippets I meet don't have one. An ex courser greyhound also only wears one when she's playing with other greyhounds, as she can chomp down on their backsides.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Not usually to the muzzle. Yes to the deer. You just walk them places they won't see wildlife.

Some sighthounds can be trained not to chase wildlife - most can't. It's an individual thing. It takes one helluva lot of training though. And you have to be able to offer them a great deal in exchange.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It sounds like you need to go on a few lurcher walks to see what sighthounds are like in reality - the majority do not need to be kept on lead or need to be muzzled, and are certainly not less intelligent than other types of dogs (unless you include those collies who do su doku in their spare time).

Jasper doesn't lunge and have a tantrum when he sees a deer - never has done, though he certainly used to when he saw a cat (and still will if he's too near for too long).

My understanding is that it's because a deer is work - or rather vocation - and far too important to go around behaving like a twerp. If on lead he will stand still, every nerve ending thrumming. I wait him out in the hope the deer will move away and eventually, when J moves, it's a little like walking a highly unstable atom bomb but we make gradual progress and eventually, he will return to 'normal' and I'll praise him for calming down.

Bear in mind that working dogs who hunt deer would be pretty useless if they threw a wobbly every time they see a deer. I don't know the intricacies of hunting deer with dogs (Nettle may have a vague idea :wink: ) but the handler doesn't want to be dealing with a dog who kicked up a fuss every time it saw a deer because they will most likely want to focus on a particular deer.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Also just saying I wouldn't trust A LOT of dogs off lead either. i consider off lead to be a privilege and not a right and not every dog gets that privilege. its not the end of the world if your dog needs to be kept on lead.

Bax will chase anything to DEATH that is small and fluffy and no amount of recall training is going to fix that. I also dont consider the tiny amount of whippet his breed has in it enough to classify him as a "sight hound". Some dogs just love to chase things down and while that may be more PREVALENT in sight hounds i dont think it should discourage you from the breed. On long leash/ short leash walks are also lovely.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13