Ready made raw feeds

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: Ready made raw feeds

Post by Lotsaquestions »

The other flavours of Forthglade arrived, so far he LOVES the lamb. :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:07 pm The other flavours of Forthglade arrived, so far he LOVES the lamb. :lol:
Fingers crossed that he continues to like lamb :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Day four - Merlin pushes the Lamb aside to get to the dry food. I think he just likes dry. I have a sample pack of wolfworthy coming to see if that firms him up, and we're trying out Eukanuba right now. So far his poos are improving.

I might dehydrate some fish in our new dehydrator for healthy homemade chewies. I guess some dogs just like to crunch. :lol:

Any advice on what fish is good? I know sea fish can be a bit salty. A good medium sized fish thats healthy, safe to eat whole, and dehydrates well.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

It's a shame about the lamb wet but I think he just loves to chew which will explain why he prefers dry. If the drys your using don't work you can try Eden dry food. It's made from proper meat not meat meal or rubbish.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

If merlin likes fish here's a fish variety https://edenpetfoods.com/products/dog-f ... isine.html
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

The sample of Wolfworthy arrived, so I mixed that with his Eukanuba today. So far he is really enjoying it, time will tell if he poos get better. They were already improving with Eukanuba but weren't as good as when he was on raw.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:35 pm The sample of Wolfworthy arrived, so I mixed that with his Eukanuba today. So far he is really enjoying it, time will tell if he poos get better. They were already improving with Eukanuba but weren't as good as when he was on raw.
How's merlin getting on with his wolfworthy?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

He LOVES it, but it doesn't love his belly. We mixed it with his Eukanuba and his poos just got worse overnight. We kept with it for a few more days of them mixed just to see if it was just changing over that upset him, but they never did improve. We stopped the Wolfworthy and he's back to 'normal'.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:14 pm He LOVES it, but it doesn't love his belly. We mixed it with his Eukanuba and his poos just got worse overnight. We kept with it for a few more days of them mixed just to see if it was just changing over that upset him, but they never did improve. We stopped the Wolfworthy and he's back to 'normal'.
There might be something in it he didn't agree with ( his tummy) iv just learned this with Sampson MVM meats who I go to for his raw food didn't have enough of one of the meats I wanted so came me rabbit instead I gave it him last night and OMG the smell :shock: his poos have been runny since he went out to toilet about an hour ago and my neighbor looked at me funny (our fence is slightly low at one end of the garden) when I shouted out loud mom his poo is going solid again :lol: I couldn't help it I was so happy that I didn't have to mop up I could pick up :lol:

I'll never give him rabbit again.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Right he's now on Eden, but so far not so good. Problem is during the time he's been on Eden he's also scavanged some less than savory things (whole frozen burger, a bird fat ball, and some bird seeds) so I am not sure his poorliness has been down to Eden or his antics.

We tried slowly introducing it, but his royal doucheness decided to eat around his old food. His poos have been both totally great and solid aswell as some really runny and mucousy after the firm stuff. Problem is he's been acting 'under the weather' too. More lethargic, wouldn't eat one morning. He's slowly getting back to himself but his poos remain 50% great and 50% really bad.

Wondering if anyone had this experience with Eden? I want to continue it just incase it was his scavanging, but at the same time I don't want to be effectively poisoning him if it makes him poorly.

On the plus side, he hasn't farted once. So he is less smelly. :roll:

If Eden doesn't work out I'm at a loss at what dry to try next. Not many non white potato containing dry foods I haven't yet tried. I might, if Eden doesn't work, just go back to raw and keep him away from my dad after he's eaten for the day. That has been the only food he's been on before he developed potato intolerance that was actually really good for his innards. It is just annoying he's so bloody picky about wet food / none crunchy food becuse that is a whole healthy market we just can't do.

Edit: Just read your last post again Zara since it has been a while, his food DOES contain rabbit so perhaps, like Sampson, Rabbit is a bit too rich for Merlin. He's had rabbit chews fine before but I guess it is a 'ok in moderation' type deal.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Yeah I am convinced it is Eden. He's really lethargic today and constantly wants me to rub his belly. He's having the rest of his Millies only today to see if that clears him up.

My partner isn't going to be happy. I ordered two 2kg bags at a total price of £33 + delivery. Now those bags are useless. :roll: He's going to be even more of a misery guts when I explain we still need to find a different food so will need to spend more...

He complained that Merlin eats better than we do, so I threatened him with having a bowl of Eden for dinner with a beef scalp chew as desert. He hasn't complained since :lol:.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

You might be able to use the Eden for treats as I'd guess it's the balance of ingredients rather than a specific ingredient. Keep them in the freezer and they'll last for ever!

I've a brain like a sieve, but I think you've gone down the home-cooked road?

Bear in mind that Jasper's never produced consistently perfect poos - they tend to be good in the morning and variable in the afternoon, so don't assume you need to achieve consistently perfect poos. Merlin seeming offcolour is of course a different matter though.

It would be great if you could come to some sort of compromise with your dad Would you consider feeding Merlin once a day, with maybe a snack at the other end of the day if that fitted in with your dad better?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

We tried the home cooked but he quickly got bored. He likes the crunch and his wobbler too much. I have pots of home cooked lamb mix in the freezer he has zero interest in. >.<

Its more his flatulence that led us to change from Millies. His poos were soft, but 'good' with some weird oily ones that I assumed was his anal glands. But being a farty pants can't be comfortable. Outside of farting he is very active and happy on it. With Eden its like I've poisoned him, he's just been laying down after eating it. He was active yesterday morning, but then after his afternoon dinner he got really lethargic.

He has his Millies in his wobbler now, and suddenly he's perked up and wants to play. He's not eaten Eden since yesterday afternoon.

I have ordered samples of a different Eden flavour, and also Orijen. Both don't contain game. If those don't work I'll have to work out something with my dad, because I can't have Merlin be unhealthy. The issue with my dad is he is paranoid about Merlin passing salmonella onto their 17 year old Yorkie through my mum walking Merlin with me. I've told him the risk is really, really low but he is convinced that is what killed their other Yorkie. Her symptoms were very much like salmonella poisoning and there was a spate of runny dog poos around our area at the time. After he found out about us feeding Merlin raw he basically googled all the horror stories on it, said he can't be in contact with Merlin due to his diabetes, and that he thinks other people's raw feeding killed their dog (Merlin wasn't fed raw at that point, and he did get sick too).

Once he gets an idea into his head that is basically it, and he's convinced my mum about the dangers too... I would just ignore it if we didn't see them often but I see them almost every day.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

He's sick again, this time worse than on Eden.

He was fine with just Millies, everything back to normal, even the farting. He went on a four hour walks with a picnic and was really energetic and happy. I mixed Millies with Orijen in the afternoon, he got sluggish an hour or two later, then the entire night he was throwing up and had runny poos.

As far as I can tell there is nothing in Orijen that would make him poorly, all the meats are bland (I got the turkey, chicken and fish one), so I can only assume he just needs to be introduced to it really, really carefully. Problem is I am out of Millies and their delivery times would be a few days away.

What would be the best thing to do now? Should I give him just chicken & egg for a day to reset his belly, then very slowly mix a few bits of Orijen into that over a few days? Or should I go out and buy a sensitive stomach dry food and get him onto that for a week, then mix from that?

Issue is he refuses rice so the only bland foods I know to give him is just chicken and egg.

Edit: Getting some of these http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... cken-300gm today, going to mix his dry with that very, very slowly. Absolutely no way chicken, rice and carrot should make him sick.

I've researched and all his symptoms can and do happen if the food was changed too quickly. He's never had issue with half and half before, but I guess with these being higher meat content and lots of veges he needs more time.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

How frustrating for you! :shock: I'm surprised switching foods too quickly could cause such a dramatic reaction, but you've done your research.

Remind me, if he was fine on MIllie's, why are you changing (sorry, brain's like a sieve :oops: )? I'm a bit dubious about food for sensitive tums - are they just foods with none of the added carp that you wouldn't find in Millie's or Orijen anyway?

You might have tried it, but Chappie's meant to be good for sensitive tums even if on paper it looks rubbish.

Another option you have is to settle for not seeing your parents for a while, putting him back on raw till everything settles, and then slooooooooooowly introduce a kibble you'd like to feed him.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009