Ready made raw feeds

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Re: Ready made raw feeds

Post by ZaraD »

Canned pumpkin is another you could try. Just check its unsweetened :D

Also other than loving to chew his food he could be bored with his food as sometimes dogs can get bored.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

When you say his poos are softer than you like, how soft are they? Can you pick them up easily enough, or are they more splats? I just wonder whether they could be 'normal for him'. I've never managed to perfect Jasper's poos, but I've settled for 'good enough'.

I can't remember - have you tried slippery elm/Tree Barks Powder? That's meant to firm things up and I've heard lots of good things about it though it didn't do anything for J. What I'm not sure of, though, is whether if it does work, that means that there's a 'problem' there in the first place so it's just a 'sticking plaster'. OTOH, a lot of people need prunes and All Bran to keep everything moving and others don't, so dogs' digestive tracts will have their individual differences too.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

He hates pumpkin, we've tried that before.

They can be picked up, but leave some marks on the floor behind if you get my drift. They aren't splats but can be soft enough to leave some dripping on his bum fur. Horrible images I know.

On raw they were perfect and he passed them easy. Without raw he seems to stress about needing a poo a bit.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's frustrating, isn't it?

Here's another kibble that's worth a look: https://bentleysdogfood.co.uk/

BTW, when you try new foods, are you changing him over gradually? Not that it's relevant when you're just trying to find something he likes, but changing over too fast will affect the 'output' - I think it's meant to be over at least 6 days.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Yes we've always mixed it.

That Bentley's stuff looks good, nothing in it that I know makes his belly wobble. I'll see if I can snag a sample pack.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I thought Bentley's had potato in which you said gives Merlin wind?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Only sweet potato as far as I can see? Perhaps I've missed it.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

If you look on the nutrition bit it say

Fish and Egg 82.5% (Freshly Prepared Salmon (31%), Freshly Prepared Trout (23%), Fish Meal (7.5%), Herring Meal (7%), Salmon Meal (6%), Salmon Oil (3.5%), Krill Meal (1.5%), Salmon Stock (1.5%), Dried Egg (1.5%)), Potato, Sweet Potato, Lucerne, Peas, Linseed, Minerals, Vitamins, Seaweed, Aloe Vera, Dried Carrot, Dried Green Beans, Yucca, Dried Cranberry, Chicory Extract, Devils Claw, Green Lipped Mussel

https://bentleysdogfood.co.uk/product/b ... nformation
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Just done a bit of a search and just found this https://butternutbox.com/how_it_works

They freshly cook all the food to order. They use sweet potato but not white potato :)

They also have an FAQ page.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Just found a video of someone trying butternut box food. https://youtu.be/H_k31DbxOfc
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

That is cheeky by Bentleys! Its not on their veg list on the front. Thanks for checking it out for me Zara.

Butternut box looks ideal, basically homecooked but in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. Going to look into that, not that costly either compared to the raw we were trying to feed.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I thought that butternut box looks good and with you wanting to do a home cooked diet this takes all the work out for you and you don't have to worry.

If also found this dry food which say the dry food alternative to raw?https://wolfworthy.co.uk/pages/wolfwort ... ngredients
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Wolfworthy look good, but I think the sales pitch as an alternative to raw is just because its high meat and no grains. They do send out free samples though (with £1 P&P :P) so it won't hurt to see.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Could you keep us updated on how Merlin gets on and if he likes any of them?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Sure, though I am beginning to think his Metacam is giving him a bit runnier poos than normal so for poo consistency I'll have to wait until he's off them (fingers crossed for this weds, but he's still skipping :().