Ready made raw feeds

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Re: Ready made raw feeds

Post by ZaraD »

My dad use to feed half home cooked he use to feed one can of natures menu country hunter tins in the morning and then the evening meal was home cooked.

My uncle feeds a dehydrated food https://purepetfood.co.uk. just in case you wanted another option :D here's a link about it https://purepetfood.co.uk/what-we-do
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

That Pure stuff looks good, he has dried their duck & apple sweeties before and was alright with them. I just did a quick google to find what people are saying about it and can't find anything, but then stumbled across Orijen's version of a complete freeze dried meal. To be honest I would rather do this than try and give him everything he needs on my own.

So they are cooked then? Not raw? I tried to find information and their FAQ says 'lightly heated to remove harmful pathogens' which I assume translates to 'not raw'.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

They do tow one that freeze dried and this is the closest to raw but it's not raw and then there's the dehydrated which i s the closest to home cooked diet. You just add water. It the closest you can get to raw or home cooked without need loads of freezer space and it stores like dry :D my uncle's dog has been on loads of diets and has either rejected the food or it has not agree with him. He's even been on raw but his tummy issues were worse on raw but pure dog food is the only food he enjoys and that doesn't upset his tummy. (Pepe is a Samoyed)
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Going to give it a go, Zara, either Orijen or Pure. Leaning towards pure since I think Orijen is designed for all out working dogs, which my little fluff ball is not. When it arrives I'll let you know how it goes.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:00 pm Going to give it a go, Zara, either Orijen or Pure. Leaning towards pure since I think Orijen is designed for all out working dogs, which my little fluff ball is not. When it arrives I'll let you know how it goes.
Hope he likes it like my uncles samoyed :D . If not known of a dog to turn their nose up at it yet. So fingers crossed he likes it. My uncles samoyed Pepe is a very fussy dog and pure is the only food he is happy to stay on. :D I'm sure samoyed are a big spritz I'm going to ask my uncle. :)
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Damnit! Every Pure food contains white potato which gives Merlin wind. Orijen doesn't seem to so I'm giving them a go instead. :cry:

Edit: Orijen freeze dried seems to be raw food without the possible pathogens cooked off. Back to square one looking. Seems that whilst the USA has alot of dehydrated complete dog foods I can only find Pure for the UK. I am tempted by Millies Wolfheart wet food, then just leave Millies Wolfheart dry down for him in his wobblers. Which means this whole adventure was for nothing. :roll:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:49 am Damnit! Every Pure food contains white potato which gives Merlin wind. Orijen doesn't seem to so I'm giving them a go instead. :cry:

Edit: Orijen freeze dried seems to be raw food without the possible pathogens cooked off. Back to square one looking. Seems that whilst the USA has alot of dehydrated complete dog foods I can only find Pure for the UK. I am tempted by Millies Wolfheart wet food, then just leave Millies Wolfheart dry down for him in his wobblers. Which means this whole adventure was for nothing. :roll:
That's a shame. If your looking at set a few members of my family use country hunter tins by nature's menu you can get them at pets at home. And then my cousin uses forthglade wet.

Here's the links

Country hunter https://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/natural-d ... ouches?p=2

And forthglade. http://forthglade.com/product-category/ ... -dog-food/.

I personally prefer the look of forthglade. :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Nice, no potato in most of the Forthglade stuff! The Ocean fish also has seaweed, I'm sure he'll like that being the fishy eating dog he is. 75% meat aswell.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 am Nice, no potato in most of the Forthglade stuff! The Ocean fish also has seaweed, I'm sure he'll like that being the fishy eating dog he is. 75% meat aswell.

Yeah there really good , I'm not sure but I think pets at home have them.

I like forthglade and if seen it in person when my cousin has fed his dog and you can see real meat chunks. Also if I was to feed wet when I get my dog it would be forthglade :) . They have a wide range potato free, grain free ect :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Ordered a pack of ocean fish, and chicken, liver and rice. All potato free. They were cheaper on amazon that in Petsathome :lol:.

If he likes these (big if, since every single wet food we ever tried when he was a puppy he turned his nose up at.) that'll be his kongs for the evening. Going to stick to his Millies dry, but I've seen that Forthglade also do high meat content dry that is potato free so who knows!

Ty Zara :).
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

So far its a no from Merlin about Forthglade. He isnt enthused, but he did eat some... Then went back to his wobbler.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:35 am So far its a no from Merlin about Forthglade. He isnt enthused, but he did eat some... Then went back to his wobbler.
That's a shame. What does Merlin like to eat, what are you successful at with him for example the giant schnauzer I'm fostering at the moment does not like any wet and refuse to eat it I tried a few samples with him but he loves eating meat , veg, fruit and likes the rescue told me to feed raw as he was brought up on raw but won't eat wet food so he's on mainfold valley meats ( DIY raw) however he tried a bit of my employees dog food by accident (she brings and feeds her dog at work , I'm the owner of a dog grooming parlour and am the head groomer) really enjoyed it. She feeds Eden dog dry dog food https://edenpetfoods.com

I think the reason Sampson ( the giant) does not or should I say won't eat wet is because he enjoys chewing his food were with wet there's not much chewing. So maybe Merlin likes chewing?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

He definately loves chewing just about everything so it might translate to food. So far he's preferred his dry over just about everything I've tried. Problem is that his poos aren't as hard as I would like on it, despite his belly not being upset. He used to love fish, but he's 50/50 on it now it seems (he also refused Fish4Dogs salmon mousse). The only thing that made him have great poos was the raw feed, but I found he preferred that when it was still a bit frozen (so chewy!).

Saying that though we've tried alot of dry foods and he's refused almost all of them. The dry he's on now is Millie's Wolfheart Ranger Mix.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I do wonder whether he prefers the taste and chewyness of proper meat , could be why he liked raw.maybe seeing is he eats something like chicken,veg and butternut squash (cooked) and see if he eats it? But just start with one meal and still keep him on his dry for another meal and if you find he eats it all then you could look at a home cooked diet and kibble that's what my employee does she feeds Eden dry in the morning and then the evening meal is either meat or fish with veg or fruit and either potato or squash. Obviously Merlin won't be able to have potato :)
Last edited by ZaraD on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

The veg part he wouldn't eat, but he'll eat cooked chicken. Never tried butternut squash with him!