Food suggestions

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Partsman19

Food suggestions

Post by Partsman19 »

Hello,

I have 3 dogs: 13 year old female cockapoo, 6 year old male Bichon Frise and a 2 year old female Bichon Frise. I have been feeding them 4Health dry dog food in the mornings and the same dry food with a scoop of Cesars wet food in the evenings. It seems like in the last week or so my 2 year old Bichon has lost interest in both the dry and wet food and is just picking at it. I received some samples of Taste of the Wild dry food and she is eating a little bit of it but is not really excited about it. She is in good health but for some reason is just not eating her food. She will eat the dog treats I give them but not her actual food. Any suggestions either how I can get her to eat or other food suggestions you could offer. I was thinking of Wellness Core but I do not know if she is going to turn her nose up to that as well.

Again, I would appreciate any suggestions you could offer.

Thanks
JudyN

Re: Food suggestions

Post by JudyN »

Has it been hot recently? A lot of dogs go off their food when it's hot, and will start eating again when it's cooler. If this is the case with her, you could try feeding her earlier in the morning or later in the evening.

How is her weight? If she's a good weight you can afford to watch and wait for a while. 4Health looks like a pretty good food and if you changed to another you might find she turns up her nose at that too.

One thing that can tempt fussy eaters is to cook up some chicken broth (just boil a chicken carcase in water & drain it), and pour a little on the kibble (you can also feed the meat, but not the bones as cooked bones are dangerous). Alternatively, do consider raw feeding. Some dogs really aren't interested in kibble but most love a raw food diet and thrive on it. Several members here feed raw so we'll be able to help if you fancy going down that route.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009