Puppy not eating

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

marge

Puppy not eating

Post by marge »

Hi all, I have an 8 month old wheaten mix who is picky to his food.
I got him 4 months ago and at the beginning his appetite was great. The food that came with him was some junk food, and he had allergies (still has actually) so I switched him to a grain free diet. Until this day, he's still licking his paws 2-3 times/day. He seemed to like the grain diet food and was fine eating, until 1-2 weeks ago that he is refusing to eat his food unless I add chicken baby food or some of our food.
He just got neutered 1 week ago and it his appetite went from bad to worst. He barely eats and is only drinking water. In the last week, I have tried (dry) : puppy Hills Science diet, First Mate Pacific Ocean fish formula and now currently on Canidae Grain free limited ingredient Bison. One thing I didn't noticed for 2 months, was that the food the petfood express employee recommended to me, First Mate Pacific Ocean Fish, is for senior/weigh control management. I don't think this could have any effect on his body except for not gaining any weight and some proteins, but right now I'm trying to figure it why he's lost his appetite.
I've only added the chicken baby food just recently because he's not eating.
I've tried to seclude him from my other dog when eating, I've tried adding a little bit of water to his dry food, I've tried feeding him at different times, I've tried changing his food bowl and also removed his e-collar (cone of shame).
I also don't want to buy an expensive food because we can't afford $80/month for their food.
I also emailed his doctor and he said to try Royal Canin management diet and not to worry about it. He said to bring him in only he's not eating at all ad is loosing weight.
Any suggestions would help please :cry:

Thanks in adanvace
Erica

Re: Puppy not eating

Post by Erica »

Our kibble-fed dogs have always had "mix ins" to keep their meals interesting. Whether it's some dog-safe leftovers from our meal, or canned dog food, or a few pieces of freeze-dried raw food, it helps a lot! And because it's not a whole meal, the high cost of some of the things (like the freeze dried raw) actually turns out pretty moderate, since a small container lasts for days or weeks. (We also rotate the "flavor" of kibble, since our dogs have luckily had very solid stomachs that don't get upset easily. Imagine eating only chicken noodle soup for the rest of your life...even if you love the soup, it'll get boring quickly! Adding oyster crackers or Goldfish or toast would help, as would switching from chicken noodle to vegetable barley soup every now and then.)

I would also think that he may still be recovering from the surgery, and might not feel 100%.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I know from my own dogs that the anaesthesia tube can leave them with a very sore throat. How about you soak his kibble in chicken broth (made from a real chicken not tin or packet) and add some of the chicken (no bones!) and well-cooked green vegetables?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
marge

Post by marge »

Thank you so much for your great advices. I guess I didn't want to get my dog get use to eating canned food or other flavored food besides his kibble food, that's why I didn't think further ahead. But you guys are right, all dogs are different and don't have to be eating the same food for their life, that's pretty boring. I will make their meals more enjoying now by adding some homemade chicken broth and some boiled shredded chicken Thanks so much :)