Advice on ageing dog?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

michalis

Advice on ageing dog?

Post by michalis »

hello guys, I found this site looking for advice about my ageing dog

she is a terrier mix, so she is small and 16 years old

she has had some hearing issues for a while and she has a little bit of cataract but seems to see fine

I have been away from home for long periods of time in the past and when i came back everything was ok, until now, ive been away for a year, but now that i've been back she seems different. she used to always sleep in my room but first night back she is keeping her distance. also she used to always beg for walks but doesnt want to now, and it has been happening for a few months according to my parents that were looking after her, although they didnt take her out for a walk as often as you'd think, did that make her depressed maybe?

her movement seems fine but i need a few days to assess. maybe she doesnt come to my room cause she cant climb stairs, and maybe doesnt want to go for walks cause of it and her eyesight issues

is there anything I can do to give her a better quality of life? I've read online about dog growth hormons. is that a thing? can it help with my aging dog? can it help her eyesight/hearing?

thank you for reading I am worried about my dog I do not want her to suffer
rnor1120

Re: Advice on ageing dog?

Post by rnor1120 »

Hi there, vet here.

My first advise would be to take your pup to a vet. There are many things that can cause behavioral changes and "slowing down." Have a vet examine her. I'd recommend a full blood check, and perhaps some pain medication (should your vet thinks it is appropriate).
michalis

Post by michalis »

rnor1120 wrote:Hi there, vet here.

My first advise would be to take your pup to a vet. There are many things that can cause behavioral changes and "slowing down." Have a vet examine her. I'd recommend a full blood check, and perhaps some pain medication (should your vet thinks it is appropriate).

hello and thanks for the reply, I took her to a vet already he says her gums are swollen she probably has trouble eating because of it. is it possible to remore plaque without putting the dog under?
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

Not really. You can scrape some stuff off, but you cannot scale under the gums where most disease is. Plus, I've seen horrific injuries to pets from non-anesthesia denials. In the United States, the AVMA (the main veterinary organization) has a very firm stance against non-anesthesia dentals. In my opinion, it's inhumane and has the potential to seriously injure a pet. If your dog's mouth is so painful that she can't eat, please have the cleaning done.

It also sounds like she's having some issues with arthritis.
michalis

Post by michalis »

thank you for the reply, the doctor gave me some meds to help the joints and said her hind legs are a bit week but that it didnt look like she had arthritis or was in pain

do you think its worth the risk putting her under to clean her teath? isnt there a possibility she might not wake up?