Food to help with shedding?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bindi-n-Beastie

Food to help with shedding?

Post by Bindi-n-Beastie »

Hi!
Our GSD/ACD mix sheds like crazy. She's currently getting Whole Earth Farms Grain Free food. (http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore ... y-dog-food)
And ideas on foods that will help with shedding, and that aren't much more than a dollar a pound?
Thanks!
Wendy2shoes

Re: Food to help with shedding?

Post by Wendy2shoes »

I don't know about food, but adding a half tsp of coconut oil to my cocker/goldie mix has greatly reduced her shedding she loves it in her food!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I'm surprised no one else has posted on here tbh :shock:

I had a lot of luck switching Bax to raw. It's very time intensive cutting up the food but for me it was the more economical choice. His coat is fantastic now. Very little shedding, no dander to be seen, and it has a great glossy shine (the vet tech at my vets says he has better fur than her dog :P ). He's lost the grease and the bad smell too. I used to have to wash him every other week or so but now he can go months without a bath. He was soon to go under anesthesia to get his teeth cleaned but after the switch to raw he has sparkly white teeth with zero brushing or chews from me.

If you're interested i recommend poking around the "raw" thread. It's definitely a lot of work but if you're looking for an awesome coat for your dog i couldn't recommend it more highly.

(To clarify, i have a 12 pound rat terrier. about every 1-2 months i buy a bulk amount of meat and spend 1-2 hours cutting, packaging, and freezing. then i just pull the individual packages out as needed. more work then pouring kibble but well worth the effort imho)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Shalista wrote:I'm surprised no one else has posted on here tbh :shock:
Frankly, I wasn't sure what I could say. Shedding is a natural occurrence with dogs that I simply accept. :lol:

I raw feed Piper (my pembroke corgi) and have since she was 4 months old and while her coat is incredibly healthy and shiny, I personally have seen little evidence that she sheds less because of it. But then again, she is a breed with a significant undercoat that seems to shed year round.

I deal with shedding by regularly brushing away most of the loose hairs and tufts from her haunches - if I don't they become tumbleweeds all over my house! :wink: :lol:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

hahaha i grew up with a corgi and those tumbleweeds were SERIOUS =P our cats would play with them =P
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Bindi-n-Beastie

Post by Bindi-n-Beastie »

Thanks everyone!!

And lol, I understand the corgi thing too. :) My dog Bindi is a Pembroke corgi. . . she sheds her fair share too! My brother's dog, the GSD/ACD mix, sheds even more though. So thanks for the advice!