Greyhound dander

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Greyhound dander

Post by Shalista »

So I just got back from a greyhound rescues annual picnic. So. Many. Beautiful. Dogs.

Man those dogs looked skinny O.o i guess i'll have to be careful to not over feed (WHEN i get one)

i do have a question about their coats though. they were very soft (nice!) but also absolutely full of dander. Every dog there had an almost gross layer of dander. I was told this was normal for the breed but i cant help but think that something is missing in their diets. am i wrong?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Greyhound dander

Post by Erica »

Huh, I never noticed a ton of dander with our neighbors' greyhounds (one neighbor had two, another had...about eight all at once; all were retired track racers or dropouts or the like). I was fairly young when they had them, though. Much more noticeable to me were their awful teeth, and inability to get them thoroughly cleaned by a vet because of the whole sighthound/anaesthetic thing.

They were all lovely, wonderful dogs. :) I can understand why people love them so much!

Were the dogs all related, or on the same food?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

they all came from the same rescue, retired racing dogs shipped up from Florida, i think the rescue recommends a certain kind of food but some of these people had had grey hounds all their life (i can't imagine they all came from the same rescue)

and yeah they had NASTY teeth too >.< raw would help with that right?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I can't say I've noticed significant amounts in the greyhounds and smooth lurchers I've met :shock:
I've just searched for 'dander' on a good greyhound forum and these are the search results (you might have to jump through some verification hoops): http://greyhoundgap.proboards.com/searc ... aptcha.com Some people do mention grooming to get loose fur and dander out, and I think one mentioned evening primrose oil to improve the skin condition.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

They can be prone to manky teeth, though a lot of this will be the result of previous lack of care - raw will definitely help, though brushing might also be a good idea.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ooo this IS a good forum! thanks for the resource!
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. Can you describe the dander? How long had the dogs been in rescue and/or foster care? Was it a privately-run rescue, or an industry-controlled one?

Dogs recently from a track can have "Kennel Coat" (fluffy, scruffy, unkept-looking fur often with bare patches). After a nice spell of appropriate grooming, and healthy pet living away from race industry kennels, the coat often settles into a short fine soft coat that looks more sleek and healthy IME.

Flax seed oil and/or something like canned sardines or tuna (added into normal food) is good for omega 3 and 6. Occasional grooming with a grooming mitt, and wipe down with a damp cloth may be all that's required.

I'll add: check out a number of rescues (there's plenty of time yes), and always be careful about introducing a rat terrier to a retired racing greyhound. Cheers.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

hahah yeah i would describe the dander as moderate, not enough to make me stop petting but definitely enough for me to notice and take pause. these were all adopted dogs who had been in their new homes for years but they had all come from the same rescue (I think). the dogs were a variety of ages with the oldest present being about 13.

definitely checking out more rescues since i have tons of time and i'm going to be especially careful about introductions with bax given his occasionally feisty attitude towards other dogs.

i think i saw one with kennel coat. she was very friendly but had conspicuous bare patches.

I wouldn't dream of implying that these people didn't love their dogs or had somehow malnourished them, i just was wondering if it was a breed characteristic :P
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No, not at all. They normally have lovely clean shining coats IF fed and housed properly. But they are prone to underactive thyroid, so this may be at the root of it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS