Weight in older dogs

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Weight in older dogs

Post by JudyN »

This is thinking of the future, really... Jasper is 6.5 years and I think of him as being in his prime :D

I decided a while back that his ideal weight range was in between 34 & 36kg. After OH pointed out that he thought he was getting a bit chunky the other day, and I realised his pin bones weren't in the slightest bit visible, I got him weighed this morning and he is 36.45kg. So he's going on a bit of a diet, which I can easily achieve via smaller treats (I bought a quality kibble to use as treats, not realising that the pieces are huge) and being more stingy with leftovers.

But I wondered to what extent I should expect and allow weight gain as he gets older? I can't expect him to have the physique of a racing snake all is life - even people with a healthy weight are unlikely to be as slim as they were in their teens. My hip bones certainly stick out less than they used to :lol: But I don't want to let him turn into a labrador and blame it on his age. How much weight would you expect a lurcher in good condition to gain as he gracefully matures?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Weight in older dogs

Post by Nettle »

IME, like people, they fall into two categories as they get older. Either they don't hold their weight, and become gaunt old dogs that you have to fluff up before you take them out :lol: or you have to watch like a hawk for weight going on. So it's all about keeping an eye on it one way or the other - they shouldn't be allowed to put weight on past a healthy level (I know you wouldn't) but dogs losing weight is harder to manage. If they seem otherwise fine then we just have to ignore the fact that we are exercising a skeleton :? . My very lean b itch did turn out to have liver cancer but she was skinny long before that escalated. Avatar Lady, now 12, puts on weight as fast as I do.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I suspect Jasper would be more prone to gain weight than lose it, particularly as he's such a foodie. Not that he's an easy keeper, though - he needs a relatively high amount of food, probably going on for 3% of bodyweight per day if you include treats & leftovers.

Do you find you have to feed Avatar Lady significantly less now she's older?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sadly yes. :( Sad for both of us, as she likes her food.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS