pet insurance

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

master2

pet insurance

Post by master2 »

Hi All

I am renewing Sherlock's pet insurance with pet plan (im in the UK), and they are charging from £57 to £89 per month and I cant really afford that ( this is for the £12,000 vet bill per year) so my Question is £12,000 a good amount for vet bills for a GSD or would £7,000 be enough cover. I was thinking of switching to John Lewis as there quote is £43.90 for £12,000 cover per month which I can afford. I can only afford the £7,000 from pet plan or switching to john Lewis.

Sherlock is fit and healthy and has no health issues at the moment.

so, how much vet bill cover would be right for a GSD . I asked my vet but he was no help (hence why im asking here)

any advice please as my pet plan cover gets renewed in one week?
delladooo

Re: pet insurance

Post by delladooo »

I can't really help with whether the £7000 would be enough but just a warning to really check the policies and make sure they're comparable. For instance with pet plan I know they do lifetime cover that renews every year. I have no idea about john lewis but have seem some "life" policies that only cover a condition for a set amount and then you're on your own or it renews every year but doesn't include previous conditions. Also take into account if you've ever claimed for anything then if you move to a different company they are likely to rule out cover for anything related, even tangentially. Pet insurance is a mine field!
Rory

Post by Rory »

Pet insurance policies can vary by state, by your pet’s age, by its coverage on bilateral conditions, by types of treatments covered, by frequency of treatments for the same ailment, and a gamut of other factors. When you trim away all the considerations, equations and other extended thought processes that go into the pet insurance decision :D
Rory

Post by Rory »

Carefully check the policy for a detailed outline of conditions or ailments that are not covered. Just like any type of insurance, the world of pet insurance is peppered with all kinds of jargon and specific terms that can be confusing. I’ve spoken to not one but several dog owners who feel like some pet insurance companies (pm me for their names) don’t really care about their customers and don’t come through when large claims are submitted. It’s best to compare different insurance plans to see the differences upfront, before you enroll in a plan. Ask around, talk to your vet and when you’re ready to start shopping compare and check reviews to make sure you get a plan that does what it’s saying it’s going to do. My neighbor researched a lot of different plans and coverage and she shared some helpful bookmarks that I’ll include if you think they’ll help you find the best plan or provider.

http://www.gocompare.com/pet-insurance/
https://www.petinsuranceu.com/compare-pet-insurance
https://www.comparethemarket.com/pet-in ... insurance/