Scratching

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mansbestfriend

Scratching

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. My Kelly dog has been scratching/nibbling/licking/grooming a lot recently, and back scratching several times a day in the dirt (IE: much more than normal). There may be a behavioural component to the scratching but mainly seems like a general skin irritation. There are no fleas, no hair loss, no mosquitoes that I've noticed. Belly skin looks kind of red all over She otherwise seems fine health wise, apart from being quite lean at the moment, and an occasional ear irritation 'fixed' with application of drops/solution.

Covering all her bedding with clean sheets didn't seem to help or hinder the scratching. While on a walk in the field, she'll stop a number of times and start scratching (mainly back of the ear, back of the neck, and rump area).

The itchiness seems to happen from time to time. Last time (many months ago) the vet put her on a low dose of 'something' which really helped relieve her scratching temporarily. Revisiting the vet is the next step but thought I'd try here first.

Just hoping someone can recommend something good, to relieve her itchiness/scratching. It's been a long summer here but the cool nights of Autumn have finally arrived. Max the GH only occasionally scratches and he and Kelly dog live in almost identical conditions. It's making me stressed to see her apparent stress from all the scratching. Hope someone can help or at least give a push in the right direction. Thank you.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Nettle

Re: Scratching

Post by Nettle »

If you were in UK, I'd suggest harvest mites. They are tiny little critturs about the size of a printed full stop, but pale, and hard to see. They itch like very itchy things when they get on our skin, so must be similar to a dog. But if you don't get mites where you are, think about mange - there are many varieties and some are harder to shift than others.

I make a weak solution of lavender oil in water (say 10 drops to a quart) and rub into the coat with a soft cloth or sponge. Do no more than every second day, and on the in-between days, coconut oil or aloe vera gel will help. Particularly wipe feet, as the mites get on the feet and then travel round the dog through scratching. Fundog is very knowledgable about herbs so check with her too. Works well for mange too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mansbestfriend

Re: Scratching

Post by mansbestfriend »

Mites of some sort makes sense. I'll treat both Kelly and Max with the Lavender solution. Thanks. :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.